LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #21
hansfischer007
User

Smile Dead SS Officers getting "promoted"

Reminds me of a story about "captured SS Weapons"...many many years ago...we lived in Memphis Tn....and the company my wife worked for...once a year had a big cookout up on the river at some guys house that knew the owner of the company.....anyway...the 1st year we went....we were sitting around eating and I happened to mention that I collected German War Souvenirs as my family is German and comes from the Rheinland Pfalz....when the "Owner/old vet" brought out an SS Dagger...."I took this off an SS Captain after I bayoneted him in the throat."......ok......next year went to another cookout same place...and the same guy again brings out the dagger...but this time it was an" SS Major"...you guys know where this story is going...next year ..it was an "SS Colonel"..he would always tell the story and look at me and laugh...(I had mentioned we had a family member that was in the 3rd Panzer Regiment and fought in Russia)...I guess he took delight in taunting me....so by the time he tells the story again....I couldnt help it...had to say...."thats the only time Ive heard of an SS Officer getting promoted twice while he was dead.!".....suffice to say....he didnt like me too much........the feeling was mutual.......
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Dave, you old cynic, you! I have found over the years that it's important to separate the gun from the story, and to appreciate each on it's merits. I think this one's pretty good, the author has fleshed it out with a lot of interesting period detail. It's not quite "War and Peace", maybe "Gone With the Wind"? All the best, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #23
MikeP
User

I got a 517th Abn friend. He is right as rain and genuine as it gets.
He has a lot of good stories and never bothers to embellish.
Lots of good ones about post war laision duty and relations and encounters with Russians.
Old timers have a group table at the local restraunt in my tiny hometown and most are vets.
Sadly they are passing fast.
He often mentions the formidable "Tiger Royal."
He does admit to never seeing one in person, but he carries the "common knowledge"of the time.
He has no SS stories.
He does have his issue switchblade, but his daughter has dibs on it.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote