LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Elliot308
New User

Default Friends new Luger (Possible 1938 Mauser)

Hello, I'm big into Kalashnikovs and not so knowledgeable when it comes to Lugers.

A colleague of mine just came into one and knowing that I'm into firearms asked me about it. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about them but I told him I would look into it.

I asked on some other forums that I frequent and was referred here.

I had him take some photographs and post them on photobucket so I could pass them around and see what I could learn.

Someone on another forum said it was a Mauser and was made in 38. Is this accurate information? Is there anything else you can tell from the pics in this album?

link

I would appreciate any and all insight.

Last edited by Elliot308; 09-28-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: adding detail to title and adding pics
Elliot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
pitsword
User

Looks to be an all matching 1938 Mauser in super nice condition. Try to post your pics here. BTW, nice work with the photos. How about some pics of the magazine? Welcome to the forum.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
SteveM
User

It is a Mauser S/42 code 1938 and appears to be all matching numbers and in excellent condition. If your friend is interested in selling it send me a PM.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Is there an issue on the inside number on the side plate?
A very nice gun.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

It's hard to determine from your pictures, but is the extractor numbered "00" or "01".

Is the Luger s/n 1600m ? If so, your trigger plate is a mis-match. The digits "17" should be inside the trigger plate. It looks like they are "33". That would only go with a pistol numbered "3200" with some suffix.

So... unfortunately that mis-match makes the entire pistol a "shooter" grade pistol. It also make you really need to look closely at everything else. Only someone trying to make this look like a matching pistol would have done this.

Marc
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Elliot308
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitsword View Post
Looks to be an all matching 1938 Mauser in super nice condition. Try to post your pics here. BTW, nice work with the photos. How about some pics of the magazine? Welcome to the forum.

Pics posted. They way he shared the PB with me I couldn't select all. I had to copy them one at a time, that's why I just posted the link originally.

In his email he mentioned that the magazines and leather holster do not match. There fore no pics were sent to me.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
It is a Mauser S/42 code 1938 and appears to be all matching numbers and in excellent condition. If your friend is interested in selling it send me a PM.

Steve
I don't know what his intentions with it are. But I will pass it along that you are interested. What do you think it is worth? That is one of the Q's he asked me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Is there an issue on the inside number on the side plate?
A very nice gun.
dju
My novice apologies, what is the side plate? Can you specify the image number so I can look or have another photo taken?
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Elliot308
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
It's hard to determine from your pictures, but is the extractor numbered "00" or "01".

Is the Luger s/n 1600m ? If so, your trigger plate is a mis-match. The digits "17" should be inside the trigger plate. It looks like they are "33". That would only go with a pistol numbered "3200" with some suffix.

So... unfortunately that mis-match makes the entire pistol a "shooter" grade pistol. It also make you really need to look closely at everything else. Only someone trying to make this look like a matching pistol would have done this.

Marc
I can't quite tell from the pics either. I see what you are looking at. I will request that he takes a clear pic of that for me and add it in.

I see the 1600 but not the 1600m, can you specify by image number? I see a piece with 33 on it so I assume I'm looking at what you are but I don't know much about these so I can't say.

If that is true that would be sad indeed. I don't know what he paid for it.
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
SteveM
User

Try to find out what the number is inside:

If it isn't correct, collector value has been reduced significantly.

[QUOTE=Elliot308;220597]
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

The number inside the sideplate is VERY clear in one of the above images and it is without doubt 33.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree with those above that both the extractor and the side plate are incorrect for this Luger. Also, the "famous chip' is evident on the numbered grips....which could be repaired. What do you folks feel about the bluing?
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Elliot308
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I agree with those above that both the extractor and the side plate are incorrect for this Luger. Also, the "famous chip' is evident on the numbered grips....which could be repaired. What do you folks feel about the bluing?
Can you point out this famous chip? I'm assuming by the phrase that this is common?

I searched the forum and see that the grip by the safety looks a little nipped.
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The chip is just behind the safety lever, the result of impatience in removing the grip panel. Not at all uncommon, but it does hurt the value somewhat.
I'm starting to get a bit nervous on this one. The fact that someone has bothered to either locate or fabricate a sideplate that would pass at first blush makes me wonder what other skullduggery we should look for.
But regardless, the Luger would bring top dollar in the shooter category.
dju
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

The Luger's full serial number is visible on the front of the frame, above the trigger guard. The "m" (out of focus, so difficult to read) is below the 1600 on this photo:

Again, if this was offered to you as an all matching pistol, the presence of a mis-match plate with the correct outer numbers and incorrect inner numbers should raise your suspicions about other issues like finish originality.

It looks to be in great condition. Probably valued at the higher end of a mis-matched shooter Luger. Perhaps valued at $900-1100.

Marc
Unread 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default surely someone trying to doctor a sideplate would see

the 33 in on the reverse side.........which would indicate this is not a serious effort to deceive, but an effort to impress his friends with an "all-matching pistol".........lugerdoc, how often do you get asked for a blank sideplate ??
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

"the 33 in on the reverse side.........which would indicate this is not a serious effort to deceive, but an effort to impress his friends with an "all-matching pistol"

At the least it shows an effort to impress ones friends. But it is more likely an effort to make money dishonestly. I guess it all depends on how it was marketed/disclosed to the prospective buyers. And there are a lot of sellers out there, nefarious and otherwise, who are not aware of the inside number issue.
Again I state that is a very nice shooter. But nothing more.
dju
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

The chip is just behind the safety lever, the result of impatience in removing the grip panel.

David I agree that's ONE of the ways..shooting is another. I took a pistol shooting with the grip completely intact and the grip fractured at the safety and fell out right on the firing line.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote