LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
YankeeRebel
New User

Post Using lead vs FMJ in 9 MM

It sounds as if some of you reload for your Luger in 9 MM. Also I would say that you use FMJ bullets. I am in the process of obtaining my first Luger and might reload for it. I reload several calibers, including the 9 MM, and use both FMJ and lead. So far I have not run into a problem using lead and believe it produces less wear for the barrel. However, reading some of the posts here I would say that you do not use lead bullets. Would you mind sharing some of your thoughts?

Also what weight bullets are you using and what powders do you prefer?

A house without a cat is just that, a house
YankeeRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Welcome to the forum YankeeRebel (you can explain that sometimes), my limited experience with reloading for 9mm Lugers is that case length, overall length, magazine spring strength, and magazine condition cause more problems than lead or fmj. Few shoot hps well, and lugers like a powerful round depending on condition of the mainspring. I load 5.6g of unique with a 124g lrn. If you use a lighter fmj you can push it over 6g but the condition of the gun is a factor. Hugh Clark has an armadillo gun in .30 and another Luger in a wildcat round that probably is approaching .223 velocity but he is an exception.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
unspellable
User

Bullet shape can be a factor. I loaded some cast lead truncated cone bullets. ( 9 mm ) This particular bullet has a rather small meplat and a long shoulder on the conical section. The upper edge of the chamber would dig in to the shoulder and stop the cartridge with only the front half of the bullet in the chamber. Seating the bullet farther out for greater OAL may have helped but never tried it.

The typical 9 mm barrel is oversized with fairly shallow rifling for a jacketed bullet. I've heard stories of a cast bullet jumping the rifling and key holing in High Powers but haven't heard this complaint in regard to Lugers.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
The Virginian
User

I have loaded thousands of hard cast lead bullets in 9mm and making sure the bullet is slighly oversized .356" vs .355" and I have never had a problem. Always watch OAL and make sure the taper crimp is consistant and you can get 9mm to shoot well with hard cast lead bullets. The bullet shape that always worked best for me is a round nose. Truncated cone nose can work, but each gun will either shoot it or it won't. Experimentation is needed.
Unread 02-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by The Virginian
but each gun will either shoot it or it won't. Experimentation is needed.
My experience too. I used lead many times, even tried really light bullet heads, and that is where OAL came into play.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

I finally got a recipe for my Thor restored 1918 Erfurt that works. The OAL is much longer than what I use in my other 9mms. I gave up on lead bullets and use 115g fmj with 5.9g red dot. My Radom, Wa'd HP, and BYF 44 P38 will shoot anything that will fit in the chamber, lead or fmj. The P08 snaps like a rat trap with the load I mentioned. Took me long enough to figure it out.

rgg
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
The Virginian
User

One of the main reasons why I want to shoot lead is to preserve the rifling in the barrels. Hard cast bullets must be used because the swaged stuff is too soft and might deform under the impact of being chambered.