LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-11-2001, 02:45 PM   #1
Kyrie
User

Default Parts swapping - a coda

Folks,

I think Bill's comment below that, "This is turning into a really divisive thread." is very perceptive. I'm of the opinion I've said what I felt I had to say and it's time for me to retire from the thread before it gets out of hand and becomes something nasty and counterproductive. Alas, I'm sure we will see the subject come up again, as we continually get new Luger enthusiasts but I think what needed to be said (on both sides) has pretty much been said.

Anyone who wishes to pursue the topic has my support and blessing to do so, and I write this only so my own absence from the thread is understood

Very best to all,

Kyrie

Unread 02-11-2001, 04:01 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Thanks for the thought provoking posts. (EOM)

Unread 02-11-2001, 05:33 PM   #3
Rick K
User

Default Re:Me too.

Amen,

I didn't participate in that thread, but I sure learned a lot from following it. One thing I learned (I had already suspected it) is that Luger collectors are nothing if not passionate about their hobby!

Unread 02-11-2001, 09:33 PM   #4
bcc

Default Re: Parts swapping - a coda

Kyrie, Read your posts and everyone elses with grest interest. I geenerally agree with you, but also see where the other position is coming from. I think way too much ado has been placed by collectors on all matching parts and this has led to the replacement industry being where it is today. I have heard more than one dealer/collector tell a novice trying to sell a mis-match mag Luger that it has no collector value due to the mag mismatch....Well what goes around, comes around. At any rate I thought that you had an outstanding write up on your VOPO 1936 rework and wonder if you agree with me (please don't feel compelled) that such offical government/military ordered reworks have a "legitimate" place in a collection, this would of course include WWII German reworks, and others. It may be important to understand to repair and rebuilding (of all weapons) occured at many different levels of the German System. The highest would be factory, followed by an arsenal or depot, and at many levels between Corp and Bn. Thanks for your and anyones elses input.

Unread 02-12-2001, 09:19 AM   #5
tom heller

Default Re: Parts swapping - a coda

Kyrie, DoK, el al: I see nothing wrong with "upgrading" a PO8 with an absolutely correct (right Manufacturer, right die set, right finish, ORIGINAL NUMBERED or unnumbered armour's spare part) to avoid a mismatch or worn part, but you better know what you are doing, since an incorrect part (Imperial, Simson or KH proofed or wrong dies set --- at least 8 different ones used --- or wrong finish (rust blued, Salt blued, strawed or fire blued) is worst than leaving pistol as-is, and you'll probably screw it up, if some fitting is required. I have never renumbered a part in my life, probably because I don't have the correct die sets and even if I did, I don't have the jigs to stamp them correctly. I do know restorer who have the capability to do this correctly, but these guys who are good (some of my best parts customers) generally won't do any small jobs short of a complete restoration and refinish with prices starting at $750. So it better be a Navy, Carbine or other valuable luger to make it worthwile, and believe me there are a lot of them out there.

Unread 02-12-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
Matt
User

Default Re: Parts swapping and original Lugers

I have enjoyed reading the posts on part swapping and although I understand both sides of the debate, I'll have to agree with Kyrie. A historical item, whether it's a Luger or anything else, is either "The Real McCoy" or it isn't. There is no middle ground here, it is an absolute. Also,an original P.08, especially in a lower-grade condition, can still be bought for not much more than the recent imports. To me, a mismatched Luger is a shooter and is best left that way.

Unread 02-12-2001, 08:12 PM   #7
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default I guess it's in the eye of the beholder :) (EOM