LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
Stan

Post Mitchell Arms Stainless Steel Luger

I recently accquired a Mitchell Arms Luger in stainless steel. Looks like a regular 4" barrel Luger. Has an American Eagle the date of 1993 stamped on the receiver.
Can anybody provide information as to years of production and serial number ranges.
I've been told it was made for a short time as Stoger sued Michtell Arms over their production of the Luger.
Unread 05-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Welcome to the Lugerforum Stan.

In answer to your questions, I can supply some of the answers.

The earliest Stainless Steel Lugers that I have seen were dated in 1991, but they may have been available earlier...

The first name they were marketed under was Mitchell Arms, followed by Stoeger, and then by AIMCO... All of these guns were manufactured by the same company. AIMCO... and that company has recently changed names to become ORIMAR. You can find their information on our Links & Resources page. The guns are still being produced, but you will hear rumors that this is not so...but they are wrong.

I have heard rumors of a lawsuit by Stoeger against Mitchell, but haven't ever read anything substantive about it. The only thing Stoeger owned about these pistols was the trademarked name "Luger", but not the pistol design itself.

The current Orimar company price list is available in graphic form in our Members Gallery. You will find a new post in the Post-WW2 forum today that tells us that Steve Richards has just heard from the owner of Orimar, and they are slowly working on the tooling and design to produce .45 caliber Lugers.

Serial numbers probably vary because one feature of these guns is that you can order a custom serial number.

One distinction of the Mitchell version is that it uses standard original configuration Luger magazines, but shortly after Mitchell production, the factory changed the design to use their own design magazine. The new magazines cannot be used in original Lugers.

In our Member Gallery, you will also find an album of various photos submitted by our members of the Stainless Steel Luger models.

Some of the Luger enthusiasts who prefer orginal guns don't have very high opinions of the stainless version, but I am not one of them. They are part of the continuing legacy of Georg Luger's design in my opinion, and without them, production would have stopped about 20 years ago.

Enjoy yours, and if you have any good photos of it, please submit them for inclusion in the Member Gallery Stainless Luger Album, or feel free to create an album of your own...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Steve Richards
User

Stan,

Welcome to our forum. Please check out the post WWII section. There are many posts about the stainless guns. As John said, they were sold under several names but have all been made by the same company and are still in production in both .30cal and 9mm. Most shops will tell you that they are not being made but they are still being produced.

What ammo have you used and how did it function? I have settled into using 115gr S&B ammo in my 9mm. I found out that is what the factory tests with and it works without a hitch for me.

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote