LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-19-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
Steve Richards
User

Post Left grip warning

I have been thinking this over and I think that all new people who come to our happy little site and have never had a Luger before should be warned how easy it is to break the top corner on the left grip. I know this from personal experience! It just seems that whoever answers a new person first should give the warning. It may get a little redundant to current members but that is not the target of the warning. Just a thought.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 09:24 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts
That is a good thought Steve. That chip on the left grip by the safety is often referred to as the "million dollar chip" because if you count up all the Lugers that have been devalued by that broken corner, it would amount to a bunch of cash.
Unread 11-19-2002, 11:06 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

One famous Luger with the "left grip chip" is the Sidney Aberman .45 Luger.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 12:33 AM   #4
Aaron
Banned

Here's a way to reinforce the left grip corner, or the entire grip for that matter: Go to a model hobby shop and buy a bottle of cyanoacrolate instant glue. This comes in various viscosities, so be sure and get the "thin" kind which has the viscosity of water. Put a few drops on the back of the grip at any weak point. The glue will soak in, harden, and immensely reinforce the wood, preventing any breakage. Also, a broken chip can be glued back in place with this material and the repair will be completely invisible. This type of glue is tricky to use, so practice with it on some scrap wood first. Store the bottle in a freezer after use and it will remain fresh for a long time.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 01:39 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts
Aaron,
There is also a version of cyanoacrolate instant glue that I used at one time for model building that was a two part product. The basic cyanoacrolate glue plus an accelerant that was called a "kicker". The first part did not set up immediately, giving you a few seconds to properly align the pieces. The "kicker" was a mist spray, and once the pieces were properly positioned, a shot of kicker bonded them immediately, and for all practical purposes - forever. And, as you stated, properly applied it is invisible.
Unread 11-20-2002, 01:49 AM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts
I always make it a principle that, if I am inspectng a Luger, and have persuaded the owner to let me remove the grips, I always start with the right-side grip. One can very often see markings on the left-side grip this way without having to remove it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2002, 12:55 PM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

If anyone has broken that chip and wants to repair it, I can give you the name/address of a craftsman that does an excellent repair and/or restoration. Send me a private message and I can relay the info.

I had a luger with its chip missing, and it looks like it never was...

If I ever sell this piece, I will inform the new buyer of that repair...

p.s. When looking over a luger that I am thinking of buying, I will just ask the seller to remove the grips for me.

When the gun belongs to me, I will only lift up the left grip high enough to clear the recess at the bottom of the frame and then I pull the grip downwards towards the bottom of the grip.

I thik alot of chips are caused when a grip is lifted up and continued to be lifted up until it is off the gun. It should be "slid off" off the gun, horizontally, in the direction of the bottom of the grip frame and magazine well opening.

Regards,

Pete...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote