LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-16-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Jim Keenan
User

Post P.08?

I think I have lost the battle on the term Model 1911 for the U.S. pistol, so I will start another here.

IMHO, the term "P.08" really applies only to the pistols made for the German armed forces. I guess the term would apply to made-over pistols that began as P.08's but they should be called modified P.08's. But are purely commercial guns really P.08's just because they have the same features? I have seen the postwar Interarms Lugers referred to as P.08's, as well as almost every other kind of Luger. Color me confused.

And I still insist a Kimber is not a Model 1911A1!

Jim
Jim Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Jim,
Of course you are correct, but I think this battle is lost too. People use the terms "Luger" and "P.08" generically, just like a lot of folks call a tissue a "Kleenex". In fact, for some any semi-auto pistol is a Luger. I once got excited when an old guy told me he had a .45 Luger, which turned out to be a 1911. I really have to chuckle when someone calls a 1900 or a 1906 a P.08.
Unread 08-17-2003, 02:05 AM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

Ron,
I get the same chuckle over the 1900 and 1906's. The also get the same looks while trying to explain the P-04's and the LP-08's. Why shouldn't the LP-08 be called a P-13 or P-14?

While registering a 1938 Mauser S/42 I had an argument with the registration clerk. I wrote that the type of gun had the registering symbol of 'LUG'. But I put on the registration that the manufacturer was 'Mauser'. The clerk did not want me to do that. She said that the symbol 'MAU' was the registration symbol for 'Mauser' not 'LUG'. After an hour of discussing the matter, I gave up. I got to keep 'LUG' under type of gun. I had to put DWM under manufacturer. But I am legal under Michigan law and I will not make headlines in the newpapers for having an unregistered firearm.

I once stood beside a guy who was registering a 22 cal semi auto gun that had 'LUGER' in large letters on its side. I mentioned that it was not the world famous Luger. They said that it must be because it had 'LUGER' on its side. The clerk and the guy didn't want to hear anything that I had to say.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
colcolombo
User

Big Norm,
When I read posts like yours about gun registration (I can barely type those words, let alone speak them out loud), I have to appreciate living in Kentucky. Anyone can possess ANY legal gun without any permit or license. We do, however, have to have a license to carry concealed which costs $60 for a five year permit.
In addition, Kentucky recognizes ANY out of state concealed permit even though that state may not recriprocate.

You can go into WalMart with two .44 magnums strapped on legally. Probably cause a ruckus of course but it is legal. To carry this a step further, it would be legal for a TOPLESS lady to do the same, guns and all. Kentucky's law on nudity only applies to genitalia. So, with all our backwoods reputation, I guess we have a few good things going for us.

Regards,

Joe

---------------------------------------------
"I have more guns than I need but less than I want".
colcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 11:29 PM   #5
Jim Keenan
User

Most police in the UK are not armed, but when they get hold of a gun (or any weapon) they seem to go berserk. "Armed and dangerous" really does apply.

The worst case I recall was when armed cops were put on the trail of an "IRA bomber" who was reportedly driving a yellow VW with his girl friend. The cops spotted the car and, without warning, opened fire, riddling it with over 40 bullets, and killing both the occupants.

Wrong car. Wrong couple. Just a man and his wife out for the evening. Big press/telly hoorah for a couple of days, then the Home Office told the press to go cover a royal scandal or something and the whole thing was dropped into a black hole.

Same with the guys caught in the Toxteth riots who claimed (and proved) that those nice, polite, unarmed Brit cops had castrated them with machetes. Big press/TV furor for a day or so then the shut up order came down from on high and the lions of the press turned into lap dogs for the establishment, as they always do.

Jim
Jim Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
unspellable
User

So long as we are debating what to call our favorite pistol, what about C98 ala the C96 broomhandel and C93 Borchardt?
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote