LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-24-2002, 04:14 PM   #1
JimStanley
User

Post P08 amunition question

First I would like to thank the people that answered my previous post on my Luger I was having a very difficult time trying to find some history on this arm
I have another question regarding amunition:
I believe that I herd in the past to choose an Luger carefully, some where not proofed for modern smokeless ammo and the older ones only fired Black powder or smokeless and to fire modern ammo can be a problem?

Also is their a easy way of finding out the correct caliber of old Lugers, mine I was told was 9 MM Parabellium and was shot many times by the previous owner who shoots at my gun club but I herd that some Lugers are .30 Luger or .30 Mauser is their any way to tell so as to shoot safely I measured the barrels bore to verify what was said and it is a 9mm which is waht I wanted

Thank You Much
JimStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 04:36 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Most common Lugers are either
(9mm Parabellum) and (.30 cal. or 7.65mm Parabellum), and there were a VERY VERY few that were made to fire .45 ACP, but that's another story [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

If a 9mm Luger (parabellum) cartridge will chamber then that is the caliber of your Luger. The bore is large enough on a 9mm Luger that if you take a .30 caliber Luger cartridge and place it bullet first in the muzzle, then the bottleneck portion of the case will fit into the bore without a problem... ( this isn't the proper way of loading your Luger... we are just determining the caliber [img]biggrin.gif[/img] )

if it won't easily fit in this manner, then you have a .30 caliber Luger and a 9mm won't chamber at all.

You should be able to use any 9mm ammunition that is not specifically marked for use in submachineguns (or maybe +P) without being concerned about excessive pressure.

All Lugers were designed for smokeless (modern) powder.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,620 Times in 528 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by JimStanley:
<strong>I believe that I herd in the past to choose an Luger carefully, some where not proofed for modern smokeless ammo and the older ones only fired Black powder?

Also is their a easy way of finding out the correct caliber of old Lugers, mine I was told was 9 MM Parabellium </strong><hr></blockquote>

Jim, I've edited your post a bit but kept what I believe to be important.

ALL Lugers were designed for smokeless powder and, if mechanically sound, are safe with "modern" ammunition. Buy commercial ammunition by any major manufacturer and you should be fine. For best functioning, use full metal jacket (commonly called "ball") ammo.

To determine your Luger's caliber, measure the diameter of the INSIDE of the bore at the muzzle. i.e., the diameter of the hole where the bullet leaves the barrel. If it's 7.65mm (.30 caliber) the diameter will measure approximately .310". If a 9mm, it will measure approximately .355". If you have any doubts, have someone familiar with firearms double check your findings.

If in any kind of condition at all, your Luger will be a fine pistol and loads of fun to shoot. Be safe and have LOTS of fun!
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote