LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-19-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
Frank H.
User

Post How do you deal with rust prevention vs. "vigin wood"

Gosh that's a provocative title, sorry about that.

I'm a newbie here, I lurked on the "old" LugerForum for a few years and got good guidance from many including Thor (Ted), and now I've finally taken the plunge and have a BEAUTIFUL 1917 nearly mint artillery Luger I'll be picking up tomorrow (Kalifornia here treats a 90 year old collectible same as a "Saturday night special", LOL), and just 4 days ago I finished the "cool off 10 day wait" to pick up a 1970's era Mauser 6" Luger re-issue, also better than my expectations in condition.

(As we all know, it does pay to have close dialog with folks putting things up for auction to make sure you aren't disappointed...)

This is probably one of the most basic questions that all of us have, "How to prevent rust and keep our guns protected", yet with a Luger, how to not get that "oil spill" look going on the wood grips...

Are most Luger grips oil finished (boiled linseed etc) and somewhat impervious to Breakfree etc, or what do you guys more familiar than me recommend (beyond the obvious of "go lightly, don't get stuff on the grips than can be avoided").

(I did a test of 30 or so gun oils and greases a couple of years back for rust prevention and found Breakfree and Rem-Oil to be the best at rust prevention, and yes even above Cleanzoil which I tried based on recommendations some years ago. Granted, any oil is miles better than nothing, but those were the two that stood head and sholders above, in a one month steam and salt water test on exposed steel and blued stripper clips).

I want to keep my Lugers nice for the generations to come, and I don't want to muck up the nice wooden grips. For a "I'm not going to shoot this collectible", maybe a quality Carnuba / paste wax would be the ticket. Thanks in advance from my 2 year old here, regarding the condition of guns he inherits, and especially thanks in advance for the knowledge and experience all of you have in the years before my plunge into all that is Luger...

Frank H.

Frank H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Hairy
User

There is an expensive English quality wax (museums use it) called Renaissance Wax that will do the job. Do a google search and you'll find it here in the US. Can be used on metal, ivory, precious metals and wood. Good stuff.
Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
Frank H.
User

Thanks for the tip on the Renaissance Wax, that's one I've not picked up yet but yes that sounds like a great solution re: protecting the metal without concern for oil getting onto the grips...

(P.S., took your advise and did quite a bit of study-up on Rennaisance Wax, seems like THE ticket, I didn't realize how much more stable it was than the Carnuba etc).

Kind of a similar topic, you guys who have had Lugers for a while and maybe have several, "what is your maintenance routine?"

Do you tend to take each piece out like once a month or two months or 6 months, and give them a gentle going over with a bit of Rennaisance or Eezox or Breakfree or Clenzoil, just for the fun of handling these fantastic guns?

I wonder what Ralph Shattuck uses on his "extensive" collection and inventory.

I'll post pics when I can, but I took delivery today (after my "Saturday night special" 10 day California "cool off period" was over LOL) of a MINT dead original all matching 1917 Artillery Luger, even the mag number matches, just dead mint, and not a rework, I'm thrilled. It is just freaking MINT.

I watched the AGI / Dunlap Luger armoror's video last night, a) learned a lot about the Luger, b) was shocked at how roughly that guy tossed around his Luger parts doing the cleaning etc, "wow".

Shockingly bad care for the cosmetics, but then again it was a parkarized beater, still I winced seeing him toss the parts around in the cleaning pan and whacking things loose with screwdrivers etc, sheeeesh... but it did teach me a lot that I needed to know about the function and such on these great pistols.

Thanks in advance for the advice for a new newbie,

Frank H.
Frank H. is offline   Reply With Quote