LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-30-2001, 06:51 PM   #1
bill m
User

Default Article In Auto Mag

Hello,

Here is part of an article from Auto Mag, (Automatic Pistol Collectors Association) which I felt some of you would find interesting. It is concerning the "cottage industry alert", which is about fakes and counterfieting and reproductions. This article was about reproduction PL PPK grips. In short, the article is discussing a person selling these reproduction PL PPK grips, which I now quote from the article. "His argument was -- By not selling my one repro grip it's not going to make a difference". The reply was, "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Your one grip is out there now, and it is going to come back and bite some younger, less knowledgable collector in the ass, as we know that all reproductions will eventually be re-sold with a built in memory loss to the unsuspecting on the second sale." It goes on to say, "Please consider whether you really want to deal with an auction or a dealer who doesn't care what harm he does to our hobby, to whom the bottom line is truly the almighty dollar."

Just thought I'd share this, as it is a problem and is going to only get worse.

Unread 04-30-2001, 09:09 PM   #2
Tracy

Default Re: Article In Auto Mag

Nice to see a NAPCA member sharing info. Now if we could only get all the people that are going to read what you sent to join we would have a better organization. I have been a member for over 20 years and send articals in periodically. Marvin Cook had quite a few this time and there was an extremely well written artical on Leather care.

Unread 05-01-2001, 05:41 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Default Re: Article In Auto Mag

Bob,,

The article on leather care was excellent. Since "Auto-Mag" is copywrited, we can't reproduce the article, but the gentleman who wrote it did a fantastic job. In essence, he advocated the use of Pecards and another preservative (can't remember the name) for leather. he also discussed those who did not use any preservative on the leather and said that would eventually lead to dry-rot.

This is a real tough subject that get folks going on preservation. My opinion, and mine only, is that a cleaning with a brush to remove any dirt, and a LIGHT application of Pecards, Lexol, etc. will help the holster. BUT, the most important thing to remember is to keep it in a lower humidity area, cool place, and out of the light. This is the best protection. Just my thoughts.

P.S.- NAPCA is a great organization and there is much to be learned from the folks who really know handguns!

Marvin