LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 03-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Luke
User

Post Luger Carbine Kit

There is a "Luger Carbine Kit" on eBay at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=13976

Does anyone know if this is a production item or just one-of-a-kind?

I have emailed the seller, but have no response yet.

Luke
Unread 03-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Never seen one like that before, where is the iron for connecting the stock to the gun? I have a feeling its a one of a kind project that wasn't completed. Appears to have potential though.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
Navy
RIP

You build this thing and you and Martha can share gym time at Club Fed. It is illegal unless you get a permit to build a short barrelled rifle, per ATF.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
policeluger
RIP

I believe the iron to connect the stock is shown just above the butt stock.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
A year or so ago I saw a Luger carbine at the Portland gun show, it looked real but the finish on the wood was not as fine as one sees on a real carbine. The guy who was selling it told me that it was built of a kit which was offered commercially years ago.

My suspicion is that this is just such a kit.

It looks to me like the piece above the butt stock is a connector piece for the forend, that (at least as pictured) it does not come with a stock iron.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:26 AM   #6
Luke
User

Thanks for your comments.

Tom -

I was under the impression that it was legal if the barrel was over 16" long. I can't tell from the picture, but it appears to meet that requirement.

Luke
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:37 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Luke,

The seller notes that the barrel is 12".

Someone with specific knowledge can chime in here, but I don't think that it is all that difficult to get a short-barrelled rifle permit.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2004, 06:31 AM   #8
Luke
User

Dwight -

Thanks for the information. Guess I scanned the description too quickly; the text specifies that it is 12", 9mm.

The seller has since responded and states that this is one-of-a-kind and not a production item.

Luke
Unread 03-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
I also received a response from the seller... this is a collection of items he has acquired over the years and not a kit. Tom A is absolutely correct in that building a Luger Carbine would be a federal offense if accompanied by a stock that could attach unless the proper SBR tax were paid and the endeavor were approved in advance by ATF. I do not see a stock iron being offered in the auction.

The seller of the "kit" is none other than a forum member who doesn't post often enough for me... Art Buchanan...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Ahh, Art, one nice guy, he at one time offered me a copy carbine, I said no and regret it to this day. Not that I hear from him, but a heck of a nice guy,

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Well I just heard from him this morning... an email waiting for me in my office inbox...

Here is what he had to say...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">John---been so long since I have been with you forum guys that I can't seem to get there. My ebay carbine "kit" seems to be topic of discussion as friend has let me know. I always have a soft spot for the "nubies" so to speak. I am currently tutoring (many hours via email) one of the guys that no one wanted to help. He is coming along well to restore his own Luger. Now---the Carbine Kit. A few years back a major Luger dealer gave my name to a guy who wanted to get into the business of building repro Luger carbines. He was a retired psychologist who liked Lugers. He even had visions of building a repro Brochardt. After many months of phone and mail correspondence---and I provided numerous sketches and measurements of orig carbine sights, forearm, stock checkering etc---he decided to call it quits. He even bought thousands of $s of cnc machines and went to VO Tech school. He eventually confided that he just "had no talent for this"---I traveled 800 miles and bought his stock of imported Lugers and the hand full of carbines he built. I also acquired a very few parts(sights etc) that he had left over. I have sold one at a time all of the carbines. I had to refine them somewhat. I sold a few to Ralph who got about $2400 out of them. Now I have a few left over parts from my purchase that I will not use and want to sell to recoup some of my major investment to buy 66 Lugers in one shot. A bunch of money for a retired medium income guy. I fired a couple of the carbines and they worked fine. The sights are reasonably authentic. The man just could not come up with exact specs, even with exact drawings. The sights and barrels are not bad and offer an opportunity for the average guy. Wish I had this opportunity in 1964. The forearms are a bit crude---but a start. He had a guy finish them and checker(wrong pattern). If I were using this kit---I would likely start from scratch with a forearm. Any way---all hard work is done if one wants to build a "poor mans" carbine. My reserve price on this set is $600. The barrel is chambered and it checks OK. Short frame Luger. I have screwed it up by hand on a 1920 receiver and it lacks slightly less than 1/4 turn to align the extractor slot and the front sight. It will turn up just right with barrel blocks and wrench. The rear sight is like orig, slides over the bl and fastens with a set screw. So----maybe this resolves the mystery. Shoulder stock------certainly not legal if one displays with it attached to the carbine. Carbine without stock attached is no problem with ATF. Display with stock near---just don't latch it on--or take off the iron. You might be interested in seeing my latest Baby Luger project---A baby carbine with Manlicher forearm----used a carbine sight that the guy made a way too short from front to back. John----feel free to post this on the forum if you like. Been so long that I do not remember my Forum name and pass word----let me know if you will. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">So needless to say I will be emailing him his userID and password in the next few minutes.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote