LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-17-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts
Post S/42 1937

I have today, bought an S/42 P08 from a gentleman here in Virginia who is visiting from Canada. He was a Flight Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII he flew Spitfires and Hurricanes and was shot down and captured twice. Both times he escaped. He has been featured on A&E or the History Channel. He was in 401 Squadron in 1944 when he liberated the pistol.

The pistol was acquired by him in a jhz 1942 holster in France. It had then, and still does an Imperial concentric ring magazine numbered 8775 in the spare mag pouch. The pistol is wonderful.

The serial number is 4358v and the magazine matches. Typical wear on side plate and left muzzle. The holster is black and excellent. The grips match and are excellent. The gentleman is going to send me photos of himself and airplane when he gets home. He is also sending articles published about him and his multiple escapes from POW camps.

Here's the problem. I bought the gun plenty cheap enough to keep, waiting for the time that I start collecting WWII Lugers. As I was leaving our meeting place the old gent said "maybe you would be interested in these too" as he handed me a small cardboard box.

The box contained his Webley .38 cal service revolver in holster with lanyard, a .32 cal Webley Scott auto in holster that he bought from one of his unit's sergeants, Sgt Woodward, to carry in his flight suit and a canvas pouch that matches the revolver holster. This last may be an ammo pouch but it resembles the first aid pouch I wore in the 1970's.

I told the gentleman that I had no idea of their fair value nor was I interested in them. Then I realized that all three pistols should stay together along with the fellow's story. He asked me to sell them for him. I think they should stay together.

What is a fair price to offer? All the revolver has on it are serial numbers; ZB7373 and S.B.N.769. on the cylinder. Upon checking, the revolver not only has the greyish olive canvas holster, but also the matching belt and a second pouch on the belt.

The .32 is marked:

WEBLEY&SCOTT LTD
LONDON&BIRMINGHAM
7.65m/m&32 AUTOMATIC PISTOL

The serial number is 76482 and the right grip plate is badly chipped on the bottum.

If victory had been determined by style, the Brits would have given up before the Frogs. God, these two are ugly guns!
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote