LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-15-2002, 01:26 AM   #1
ronin
User

Talking It�´s crap, it's mine, I just got it and it�´s true love! What is it?

Got my very first P08 a few hours ago.

I�´m a confessed ignorant more than a beginner so I�´m here to learn.

My gun has the number 1508 in the frame, most other parts i�´ve seen so far also have 08 stamped on them. There's some sort of "e" below and not far from the frame number.

A large piece of the upper has the dates 1913 /1920 and the DMW markings with SN# 282 as the other serial number that tells me it's a frankenstein and not one gun.

The proof marks on the right side look pretty much like the set marked 16 here in the info pages but the letters i see look to me like a crowned B, a crowned G and another crowned B then the large winged eagle.

This is all i�´ve got. Maybe there's more, where should i look?

The gun is in crappy condition but with love patience, dedication and money not worth mentioning since i got none left, i plan to rebuild, reblue and hopefully one day finally be able to make it a shooter once again.

You can imagine there were once grooves in the rifling of the 4' barrel. Doctor, is it bad? Have never even handled another Luger before so i don't know what to look or expect.

I'll need to find new grips, grip screws and a #36 part (broken) before i can take this baby out. I only pays $ 250 so i believe it's still a bargain, a no thrills P08 in slightly better condition starts her around $ 500.

I'm listening. Thanks folks.

0-0
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 06:37 AM   #2
Marvin
User

ronin,

Yep, you have a mismatched shooter Luger. The serial number will be the one you mentioned that is located on the frame, 1508 e (include the little letter as this is part of the S/N)

The first thing I would recommend is to get a book on the pistol that gives you the nomenclature of the parts, or print off the information contained on the Forum. This would be a good start.

The restoration for the pistol can be done by yourself or a professional. The first thing you may want to do is get a replacement piece for the broken part, a set of repro grips,grips screws etc. A Forum member, Mr. Tom Heller is a great soruce for these parts. You can find his e-mail and phone number on the "Links" section. Tom is an honest guy and will help you with info. If you want a replacement barrel, Tom can also do this for you.

The sky is the limit with what you can do. The low cost way is only replace the needed parts, get the pistol checked by a gunsmith and have fun. Or you can go the full route with a new barrel, any needed parts, a high quality rust reblue and the pistol will have a new appearance. For the restoration, Thor (Ted Green) of this site can do wonders with his Rust Blue and "tweaking" to make you a Luger that looks like it just came off the assembly line.

Congratulations on your first Luger and keep coming to the Forum to get your questions answered.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 12:13 PM   #3
ronin
User

Talking

Hey Marvin, looks like you're head of the welcoming party this week, I just read your reply to my fellow countryman Manuel.

I didn't want to intrude in "his" thread but since i started this one, this my short "off topic" comment.

Not that i would immediately and automatically like someone just because he/she shares some of my hobbies/passions/vices but when i read comments like yours regarding your trip to these parts it always feel like a missed opportunity to me. I'm very fond of foreigners and tend to do well when in contact with them, either when they're visiting or i'm traveling. Back in 88 i met a Pan Am flight engineer during his stop over in BA (that Buenos Aires) and we've been very good friends ever since. I just visited him once again in Fl. last month. More gun related, through the HKPRO board i met another shooter and we both attended Sigarms Academy courses the past 2 years, hope we will be able to keep it up.

Back to my crappy gun (do i love her or what?), I just found out that the barrel also has the receiver's number (282) but also a smaller print number that looks more like 8,82 with the comma included. It so happens that there's a spec of rust right on top it, but the spacing between numbers is also larger.

Hints, clues, anything? I'll even gladfully take some BS for a while until i wisen up!!!

0-0
Unread 11-15-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
markm3
User

ronin,

If I am not mistaken, the 8,82 refers to the barrel length, which varies from the traditional (estimated) inch length (4", 6" or 8") we traditionally use in describing barrel lengths.

As for bluing, Ted (Thor) Green just did mine, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about what he did for it. Your gun will be brand-new when it comes back, but will have lost none of its heritage or historical character.

This is a great place to learn and make friends. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Regards,

Mark
Unread 11-15-2002, 01:19 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Mark and Ronin,

The 8,82 is the European notation for 8.82 millimeters and that is the bore diameter. This measurement may vary slightly from Luger to Luger.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 01:31 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts
Just to chip in on John's correct response, the 8.82mm is measured in the bore from land-to-land. Groove-to-groove diameter would of course be the 9mm (or very close to it) measurement.
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:56 PM   #7
ronin
User

All of you,

I�´m just glad that my sight is not going and my reading was accurate.

Since the number was almost matching the part number i thought it might be the same.

Good to be in such a erudite company.

0-0
Unread 11-15-2002, 11:25 PM   #8
markm3
User

Yeah, and a great place to learn if you're not afraid of making a fool out of yourself by offering opinions about things which you think you know but in fact do not. :-) It is indeed the bore diameter, in millimeters, and a common sense pause (especially from one who lived in Europe for six years) would have revealed that to me before I inadvertently misled a fellow newby.

Excuse me while I get my beauty sleep. I'm going out tomorrow morning to shoot my newly Thor-reblued Erfurt, with its shiny, white 8,82 millimeter bore! A full report will be forthcoming.