LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default How To Pack Your Collection In A Move!

Luger moving is by far a worse nightmare! We have rented this nice lakefront home and our owner wants to sell instead of rent~ Well luger fanatic like my self have no idea what a miserable hassle to valuables. This is how Debby does it! Here is rule number one pack in a white cotton sock. Then pack each in heavy duty ziplock gallon size with as many squessing air and do it inside Hefty Storage slider. Now use a Rubbermade plastic container and cart!! Don't buy the clear ones so a mover is snooper!. Put a sock or two stufefd in holsters~Then the leather good on top, rite on top tight and all sides with a black marker and "household one through what ever!" Keep a list that you alone knows what in each. last I Use duct tape that seals 2 or 3 times to make.NOW Seal with duct tape~Ready to load that we load fist in the back! We use the pods that is the best seems you have best and economical. Being !Living in Florida, I take every step to protect! You can take your time! It took be decades and my favorite posession including my third wife! Any other Hints join in please!Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Eric, Your packing instructions have covered all the bases, however, since I spent 20 years in the Army, and moved about 30 times since 1967, the only recommendation I can make is when the time comes, rent yourselves a small van, and move all the firearms YOURSELF... I don't trust my firearms to anyone except family, or my closest friends. It wouldn't even matter if the movers are bonded... once the firearms are missing... they are gone forever.

Just my $0.02... spend it wisely.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 04-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

well, I just moved in Aug-October from Penn to Washington state. For guns - I shipped a few in a POD that I had my sons stuff in, everything else I packed and moved in my vehicle. Have Jeep, will travel
AND, here was a comment I wrote on the S&W forum a few days ago, it references the complete move asking suggestions on how much a move cost, sorry to bore you;

Quote:
Okay, I will try not to bore you too much, but I just did this. Moved from Pennsylvania to Washington state in August to October 2017
------------
I was Army for 20 yrs, so moved multiple times, then after 'retirement' each job I had, they moved us from our army retirement from Palouse, WA to Castle Rock CO, then job took me to Pennsylvania, again, full moving company.
After 9 yrs+ we wanted to move home - it took a lot of money and effort. 2100 Sq Ft house to a larger house, I got rid of a lot, but not near enough. AND, you'll run into issues.

Here is what we did.
*Took items down to the corner for free giveaway, gave boxes to goodwill, gave items to friends, still should have gotten rid of more
***Hired two guys to bring everything from the basement and then put it into the garage (plus cleaned the basement lightly), this allowed me to get rid of some items and then put them in an easy location. $400 for day of work.
*****Rented Pod ($300 a month storage and $3200 to ship from Penn to Washington state) - loaded it myself
*******As we got nearer to moving my wife out, I got the largest Uhaul (cheapest of the three moving companies) and got a car hauler - never get a car dolly unless a short distance. Hired team of 3 or 4 to load the UHaul truck. Drove with wife, and 2 dogs (leaving behind 1 dog in kennel and cats and parrot) - lucky to get over 65mph, usually was doing 55 or so. Cost around $3800 plus about $1200+ (? maybe a bit less, I don't remember, but was getting about 8 miles to the gallon times 2300 miles) in gas and not counting hotel costs.
Family came up (180 miles, but so much closer than I have been!) and they helped me unload into garage, plus many items into house
**Flew back to Philly
****Got 2nd Pod (hired two guys to load Pod ($300) - monthly $300 and shipping to WA $3200
I stayed an extra 40 days or so, maybe should have stayed longer, but wanted to start new life in WA (where I grew up).
******Got largest Uhaul trailer that my Jeep was allowed - which was a 12x6 - loaded it myself - drove almost non-stop because of dog, 3 cats and parrot (It was October, so too cold to leave parrot in jeep) - LONG friggin trip, long - awful gas mileage. $1200 plus about $600+ for gas.
-----
Unloaded myself once I got here with wife.
I maxed out two credit cards and borrow money from my family..... and the stress was great - expect much more expenses than expected and lots of sore muscles - hire help if you can afford it!
------------
***********BUT, I would do it again in a heartbeat!************
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Both are good advive. They suppy the pod and Debbys Grandsons do the work. I have 2 Rubbermaides with the guns and one for leather and accessories and duct tape shut! We are following pod to our new rental, 5 miles away~I guard them more then every thing~Thank You Both as no one ever gives it a thought! A few I will keep on my lap! LuvYa!
Unread 04-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
rammercmc
User

I have used pistol sacks with gun cases and put the guns in large 48 qt coolers . Living here in florida with extreme temp changes in a day you can get moisture on anything metalic. I have stored guns in a storage unit over long periods of time with no problem.
rammercmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rammercmc for your post:
Unread 04-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Moving is akin to a bad divorse! I have never have known to have a good one!!
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post: