LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Maestro
User

Unhappy Selling Advice Needed

hello all and happy holidays.
I've been away for some time due to family issues. the short of it is that I'm forced to sell off my prized possessions. Nearly all of my various collections (e.g. lots of ww2 German memorabilia with some US & Japanese, ww1 & ww2 pistols & rifles, fountain pens, collector military books, old matchboxes and star wars toys, Zippo lighters from Nam, few collector cars, few collector guitars, collector knives, art work, collectible vinyl toys, etc.). My head is not clear as you can imagine what it is like to let go of one, not to mention, ALL.
any hoot, that's why I need your advice about your recommendation about the best way of going about it.. that is, sell on various forums, or to sell with an auction company, etc. thank you in advance ,
Darius.

Last edited by Maestro; 11-29-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: revised
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
MikeP
User

Auction company will ream you.
Selling a lot of stuff is complicated, especially if time is involved.
You may need to do that.
If you had time you might price and list some things here.
Guns especially.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 11-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

A couple of threads like that on here - try some search terms of
auction
auction self
etc

As Mike said - auctions make it easier, but they like bigger items, small stuff will just sit there. I would likely look at each collection (assume you are ill or you need major bucks), so would think about, this collection to an auction house and this one sell myself or dealer.
Murphys does a lot more than guns - a member here and friend of mine now works there. Russ Withem, he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

But I would sell some on auction, while selling some here and then I would think of Simpsons LTD for consignment or Tom Whiteman for buying a number of guns. Tom will buy a complete collection and give a fair price, you could sell some that way, some auction, some here.

auctions and dealers - take 15-35% and some items just doesn't sell
selling yourself - LONG process, good stuff goes fast, other items take forever - make more money
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 11-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
alvin
User

Selling experience is very different from buying experience. The key is this -- if your items could attract buyers willing to spend money on them, you're all set. They will absorb most of your items in private sale, you don't even need to post them online, or consign to auction houses. But those people are very picky... they are not short of cash so they only like the rarest and best condition items.

Good luck. For the items that cannot sell in private, maybe post them here in WTS column, so we can have a chance?
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 11-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Go to gunbroker.com. List your lowest quality items first with low starting price and no reserve. After sale list your better quality items one at a time in the same manner. You'll sell everything but it will take a while.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 11-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
alvin
User

One important thing to note is : Don't do Dutch Auction in public sale. You can give buyer discount offline, but don't lower price every week in public sale. That makes people feeling (1) you have no patience and need quick money; (2) better wait lower price. Don't do that for your own goodness. If give discount, only discount offline in private.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to alvin for your post: