LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default All About Halos Pretty Please!

For my last fourteen years I have been haunted by halos or the lack there of!!!Some legitimice a luger solely if one exists or not!!All I know that they occur on some luger and never on others. Can they be faked or embellished. What about reworks. I want to start a thread that we can refer to. Please share your knowledge so young and old alike can reasonably tell just what to look for, models with most likely legit! Possibly post some legit samples and what to look for as boosted, faked or real! You will provide a great service to both young and old collectors alike!! After 14 years I'm begging for all your help. Please add on all your own thought and experiences! You will do a great service to all!!! Eric
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:30 AM   #2
Dick Herman
User

Were the Lugers fitted, assembled and numbered in the white before proof testing and subsequent blueing? I thought that markings that are in place before blueing do not display halos. I also thought that halos occur on numbers that are struck on blued surfaces.

Admittedly I could be wrong and await feedback.
The following member says Thank You to Dick Herman for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
stg44fan
User

Yes, I agree. I would like to know more about this subject also.
The following member says Thank You to stg44fan for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Presence or absence depends on the time of mfg, model, and there were changes from early to late on the same model.

That said, it would be "nice" to have the info in one place- but it can be found by diligent search and reading, here and on the other luger forum.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Don many of us neither have the time or resources to research such a an important topic. Their existance or lack of legitimate the authenticity of a particular luger! What lugers must show have halos? Should all navys have halos? Yes, very important and maybe placed in a separate section in which we can easily refer~The validity of a luger often depends on this single trait! It is not addressed in our 'Question And Answer Section!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	debb 066.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	67232  

Unread 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

FWIK, but surely the real experts will soon chime in, reblued pistols can't have any halo, as the halo effect can only be the result of the already blued steel being struck by marking tools.

Kind regards.
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sergio, Are there early luger without halos that are legit? I ask is this a determining factor? Here is a 1908 commercial with no halo~My question, where are the must be on what models to be legit?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sample 001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	67246  

Name:	sample 002.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	67247  

Unread 07-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Don many of us neither have the time or resources to research such a an important topic.
So you want someone else to do the work???
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Knowledge is learning what you don't know! Intelligence is the ability to make others believe others that you are Intelligent!!
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
So you want someone else to do the work???
Searching and sifting out the specific info can take a little effort and sometimes luck, whether it's on the forums or in reference books, so I understand the desire for a quick answer. The labor would be minimal if someone knows, off the top of their head. During the time I've been a member, there have been several threads discussing halos--how/why they occur, and where they should generally be found, and on what. There also may be an overview in the FAQ, but I really don't know...

I agree with what Dick and Don have commented.
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #11
4 Scale
User

I learned a lot about halos re: 1906 American Eagles at this thread.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...wbie-education

I view understanding and evaluating halos as an advanced collector skill. There seems to be significant variation between years and types re: halos depending on the particular Luger type discussed. And even for variations where halo presence/absence/appearance appear to adhere to general conventions, there seem to be variations.

My own approach is to try and learn about halos for just those variations I'm interested it, as obtaining a broad knowledge of halos for many variations would require examination of many, many pistols, preferably the real thing. Photos help but nothing beats actually inspecting a pistol. I think halo evaluation and knowledge is just one of those areas where you must spend time if you wish to become competent.
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thats part of why I love lugers besides the years of friendship I have development! There are always different questions and different answers and opinions. I look foward daily to open up another luger treasure discussion. Its our common love for German excellance that we share now and for the last hundred years. Our passion is timeless as is our friendships over many years! Eric
Unread 07-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,595 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Don many of us neither have the time or resources to research such a an important topic.
Eric,
Judging by the sheer number of threads you have initiated and posts
you have made, no one has more time and resources than you.
Norm
The following 3 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm, before my stroke I was a trial lawyer for over 20 years I learned asking the right question is much more valuable and telling than the answer as there are always more answers. I suffered a subdural hematoma causing permanent brain damage that affects my short term memory and motor skills. I constantly spell Debbys' name wrong. Our forum has been the best therapy although I have use of only one finger for typing! I often repeat things and for that I'm sorry!! Luv Ya All, Eric
Unread 07-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,595 Times in 932 Posts

Hi Eric,
I'm well aware of your disabilities and you have my sympathy. My point is that if you have the time and skills to ask all these questions then you have the time and skills to read the answers by searching the forums.
Norm
The following 2 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Norm, I understand your point, however I'm searching not only for myself but for new or old member who share an interest in the same topic. Above are posts interested in the halo issue. We can't assume new or older member possess your luger brilliance also share by some of our experts! This is a very important topic to myself and others or I would not spend over an hour slowly posting this topic! Can you please address this issue or direct myself and a few others where to find out about halos. All I seek is an answer or where to look! I don't know the answers and it is a very important topic!! Pretty Please!~ My single typing finger is getting tired!! PS I followed your advice and there are over 100 threads for halos on Jans' site but only seek a few simple answers~ Thank You for your contributions~
Unread 07-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
Ben M.
User

gun in post no. 5 is not halo example. but example of blueing loss.
Unread 07-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #18
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank You Ben. I have never heard of blueing loss! Can you explain what it is and how it appears only in that spot! Are they post production as there are French proofs. I like to learn something every day! Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	french 005.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	67256  

Unread 07-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #19
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Sorry, Eric,
but there are no "simple" answers to complicated subjects. This "rant" is not directed at you- you post many intresting and informative links and ask good questions.

But remember, as few as 10 or 50 serial number units might be the difference between presence or absence of halos.

Then you have to explain what a halo is, and what it looks like, and as someone above said- wear can look like a halo, and "white stuff" in markings makes halos tough to see. And some halos are so faint, one might say they don't exist- and be wrong and cost some one else $$ or opportunity.

Speaking as one who has taken the time to write a book(not on lugers), when no one else would; no matter how much detail you put in or how many times you proof read what you write- there are individuals who revel in the opportunity to point out that "you" missed this or "you left that out" or "that isn't correct", or "how do you know" or " grandaddy brought one back and it wasn't like that- no body ever touched it either". Many fewer ever say thanks for the hundreds of hours of work.

Sometimes it just ain't worth the effort. Many of us can and do spend 30 minutes or an hour photographing and writing a detailed post on a new to us luger, and get one comment.

Sorry, but spoon feeding or making it easy to find instant answers on the internet without any effort are sore points with me !
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #20
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Understood! TKS BEST ADVICE!!!
Closed Thread