LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 03-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
John1125
User

Default Loading / take down tool

Gentlemen ,

I was wondering about a loading tool . I do not need an original as I plan on using it to aid in loading mags.

Are there some repros that are good ? Or do any of you have one for sale or could perhaps point me in right direction ?

thanks for your help
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If you don't need an original, I purchased an inexpensive repo off of Ebay. It worked pretty good, but not perfect. I found that the back surface was not really flat(the side that fits against the mag body). I sanded the back surface on a flat surface covered with 320 grit sandpaper, and viola, it works perfect. YMMV
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts

The most important feature is the very thin edge left in the hole. If it is not there..the tool cannot grasp the follower button and when the tool slips off it is not only irritating but worthless for the task of loading.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

and years ago when I tried using a repro, the tip bent

so, it needs to be hardened

A in-between cheap and more expensive tool is an east german one, they have gone up in price, but still can be found for a decent amount
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
The most important feature is the very thin edge left in the hole. If it is not there..the tool cannot grasp the follower button and when the tool slips off it is not only irritating but worthless for the task of loading.
Moreover, if the little lip is too thick, or if it is beveled, it can bind between the follower button and the mag body when it's being pushed down.

My motley selection of mags includes some Imperial era originals, Haenels, MecGars, Swiss commercial post-war, Mausers, Ermas, SS flat-sided ones for the Texas guns, plus a handful of mutts.

It seems to me that each format requires a slightly different profile on back side to work with perfect smoothness. I'm presuming that it is because of small variations achieved by the different styles and manufacturers.

For example, the stainless flat-sided ones have no room behind their follower buttons to admit the lip of the tool. So for those, I ground out the lip entirely of a tool that worked crappy on the other mags.

I prefer the replica ones that are the WWI shape.
Unread 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Leather Neck
User

Allow me to display my ignorance here. I've never loaded a Luger magazine before, but that should change soon. Are the tools necessary? I had assumed they were more of a convenience than a must have.

Last edited by Leather Neck; 03-16-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Leather Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
John1125
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Neck View Post
Allow me to display my ignorance here. I've never loaded a Luger magazine before, but that should change soon. Are the tools necessary? I had assumed they were more of a connivence than a must have.

Simply a tool that aids in the loading , my thumbs don't do well with those little follower buttons especially this time of year . I use mag loaders with all my guns .

One can load a luger mag all day without one if you're tough enough.
Unread 03-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
4 Scale
User

If your goal is only to load the magazine in the easiest and most efficient way, this $5 tool works perfectly:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/87...-22-long-rifle

And makes cleaning the upper section of the magazine easy.

My '38 Mauser shooter has a finicky hold-open that only works reliably with one magazine that has a stronger spring installed by G.T. Using just my thumb, it's painful to load rounds 5 through 8. This tool makes my range life much easier.

In general, Luger magazine springs seem noticiably stronger than those used in other pistols from that time. My guess is the springs are stronger because they need to be to insure reliable feeding, due to the steeper angle of the Luger grip vs. its contemporaries.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 03-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
Leather Neck
User

Does anyone have thoughts on this one: http://www.keepshooting.com/luger-tool.html? It appears to have the lip inside the hole. But is it the right shape/thickness? I know you can only tell so much from the photos, but figured I'd ask. Thanks!
Unread 03-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #10
John1125
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
If your goal is only to load the magazine in the easiest and most efficient way, this $5 tool works perfectly:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/87...-22-long-rifle

And makes cleaning the upper section of the magazine easy.

My '38 Mauser shooter has a finicky hold-open that only works reliably with one magazine that has a stronger spring installed by G.T. Using just my thumb, it's painful to load rounds 5 through 8. This tool makes my range life much easier.

In general, Luger magazine springs seem noticiably stronger than those used in other pistols from that time. My guess is the springs are stronger because they need to be to insure reliable feeding, due to the steeper angle of the Luger grip vs. its contemporaries.
I use those for my 41 smith mags and they work wonderfully ! I guess I never thought of looking to see if they made one that fit a luger mag , I may give those a try , thank you sir.