LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Atlas1
User

Default Dwm 1918

I recent purchased a 1918 DWM Luger (my first!). However, I am in need of a few parts if anyone can guide me in the right direction. Weapon SN: 4757(c)

Here is a list of the non-matching parts and their number(s). Would love to match this up as much as possible. I would prefer original DWM WWI finish. (now I'm really getting picky!)

barrel and slide, 6949(h)
side plate (no number/post war)
Mag (1920's 'Germany' commercial marked)
original front site blade.

Everything else down to the firing pin is 57 marked. I realize I may never find the barrel unit, but any of the other parts would be icing on the cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1516.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	46300  

Atlas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Atlas:
You may want to post an ad below in the Wanted section.
Good Luck.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Chip,

I would advise that you abandon your quest for matching parts. According to Jan Still's serial block information there would only have been about eleven 1918 DWM receivers marked 4757, and only six WWI DWM barrels marked 4757c. Proof marks on the receiver would also flag a force-matched receiver with a "matching" number. Even matching lugers are infrequently encountered with matching magazines. Consequently there is no point in seeking out a matching sideplate, and there are other indicaters besides the external numbers on a sideplate that reveal whether it is original to the gun. Enjoy this gun for what it is.

A correct front sight is probably available from Tom Heller (Lugerdoc) on this forum. However, most Lugers shoot high at normal distances and a taller P-38 sight will fit and provide something closer to point of aim.
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Atlas1
User

Default Side Plate, etc

Thanks Karl,
I realize this is an almost insurmountable task. However, it never hurts to ask.

As for the side plate, I would just be willing to have an original DWM version, of any number, that would look better than the one that I have on it currently.

As for the mag, well the same goes. I'd settle with a period authentic somewhere in the close range. At least it would be WWII military era marked.

And yes, I know unless George Luger were to make a barrel for me, that is pretty much a lost cause.

But, again, aim for the stars and maybe I'll hit the moon!

Thanks again!
Unread 02-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

For the side plate, check with either Tom Heller or read the "for sale" posts. Dave Zimmerman has a stack of them available with various numbers.
As for your quest, I know you understand that even if you find all the parts (which ain't happenin'), the best it will be is a force-matched gun. Why not put in a few extra hours at work, take that money and buy or trade for a matching gun?
Or not.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 02-15-2015, 02:12 AM   #6
Geo99
User

+1 what David said.
Unread 02-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
Atlas1
User

Default parts

David and Will, I totally understand what you guys are saying. But maybe I should have said up front that I know it is a million to one that I may find the parts. Also, I really only intend to try and replace the bad parts with parts that may be as close to period as possible. Therefore, it won't as rapidly appear mismatched to the uneducated eye.
Now, as Karl said with there being six 4757c barrel's made, I look at this as I have five possible barrels out there to be found. It is as if the weather man says its a 40% chance of rain and I want to ride my motorcycle. To me that means there is a 60% chance it won't rain.
So, to surmise, I thank each and every one of you for your comments and help, I know I may never ever find one of those parts. But hey, who knows right? I can at least be hopeful.
But yes guys, its a shooter and if I can spruce it up a bit with a clean period part, then I may fetch a premium on a sell or trade! Anyone disagree with that?
And really, I do appreciate all your comments and help!
Chip
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have a 1920 era commercial marked mag with Germany in minty,original condition for sale.
Please email me at :
Spartacus38@charter.net
Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Chip,
From what I can see in the photo you posted you have a very clean example of a WWI Luger. The mismatched parts do not make it any less historical, they simply simply devalue the gun for a serious collector. The upside is that you can shoot the gun without degrading its value if a numbered part breaks.

As I tried to express earlier, replacing the mismatched parts with correctly numbered parts will not make this a matching gun. Each of the parts you seek has additional flags indicating its true origin. Moreover, the cost of replacing these parts, if you could miraculously find them, would far surpass any increase in value. The exception would be to trade your commercial mag for a military mag.

Again, Enjoy the Luger and rember with lugers, more is better.
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Karl for your post:
Unread 02-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Atlas1
User

Default Side Plate

Hey Karl,
Yes, you are right. But the side plate is my biggest concern as it is a post war, somewhat of a old silver looking piece. I'd like to, lets say, make it cosmetically aesthetic if you know what I mean? So, any sort of old DWM period and color plate would be a nice upgrade, wouldn't you think?

And yes, if I can find me an early mil mag that would be great!

If you want, I can text or email you a pic of the side plate so you will know what I am talking about.

thanks again Karl!