LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
alvin
User

Default Waltham PW

Acquired a 16 size "Waltham" PW recently. 15 Jewel Model 1899, gold plated case ("GF"), unadjusted movement. From serial number, it's actually made in 1907. It's hard to believe it's made more than 100 years ago, the darn thing is in excellent shape and keeps excellent time. Probably overpaid a little bit. I saw similar PWs going $120 on ebay (probably a little bit less condition), but final price is still modest, under $200.

On Macy's 1920 ad, gold plated Waltham was for sale at $17.89 (similar to this one). But that's 1920s. Waltham with 14k gold case was $32.50. If adding fancy dial, it was $37.50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waltham.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	34416  

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,429 Posts

Yup..Ya gotta love those old timepieces. A real thing of beauty! I used a pocket watch when I was 16. I was an underground hardrock miner. Drilling and blasting. We carried ours in a small can you had to unscrew to get at the watch. Pretty sure from what I remember it was part of a dustmask? It was hard duty at 2000 feet underground...

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Looks brand new!
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

I went through a period of buying them, had a few worked on, bought several that already work.

I have my great uncles, had it worked on and she runs well. Every now and then I like to carry one.

Elgins seem to break on me?? Waltham's seem to work fine, although the smaller sizes are usually prettier I tend to like the more massive railroad size (whether really railroad approved or not).
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
alvin
User

The next target will be a railroad watch. Try to find a Waltham Vanguard, it's railroad grade. Waltham had a position in U.S. industrialization process of 19th century. The story says one founder of factory, Dennison, visited Springfield Armory frequently, and was inspired by the way of musket was made. He wanted to setup a factory to make watches with inter-exchangeable parts.

I heard Waltham made 35 million PWs. So it's still very available on the open market. There are Vanguard in NIB condition,,,, I just need to wait one. Also, Waltham factory building has been preserved. I am not sure it's opening for visitor or not. Will find out.
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I recently inherited the Waltham pocket watch of a family friend. It had belonged to the very late Charles T Wilson, one of the turn of the century Rubber Barons and was solid gold. It had his initials in a nice shield-shaped cartouche. I researched it and managed to sell it for a bit over $1,000.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
DuWhat
User

When I first started for the Santa Fe Railroad in 1974 we had to have approved watches. All that were approved at that time were the pocket watches. I bought mine from a fellow conductor. It is a Illinois Bunn Special with 21 jewels and we had to have them cleaned and adjusted once a year and carry the card with us to prove the watch kept correct time. I still have the watch 39 years later and it still keeps good time.
DuWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
I researched it and managed to sell it for a bit over $1,000.
Watch with solid gold case is a big variable. The price swings big time. There was a retail model with Waltham Riverside movement on ebay a few days ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-14K-...-/230993517975

Given the total weight of 2.3oz, even if the case is only 1oz (probably a little bit more or less, I don't know), 14k is 57% pure, the 0.57oz gold has $800 value. But the market sentiment on gold is very negative these days, so the watch sold $810, only around raw material value. I bet all bidders of this watch having that in mind. Missed this one.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
alvin
User

Elgin factory was setup by a few Waltham guys. Elgin's production volume is bigger. One ebayer listed an Elgin starting at $0.99, free shipping, no reserve. Surprisingly, no one bid on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1910...-/281118291167

It's one big dollar, shipping included!! How could seller not losing money if someone had put down $1 on it.....
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Ebay has a minimum bid feature. They encourage sellers to start low to get the bidding started, but once you bid, a "minimum bid not met" message usually pops up.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
alvin
User

It ran happily in the past few days. Accurate to the degree that it only loses or gains a single second in 24 hours (when laying flat on table). Unfortunately, starting last night, I notice it does not wind tight anymore. I guess the main spring hook to the barrel is broken. I don't have appropriate tools and parts. Just send it to a local watchmaker to have it repaired.
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

Here's my watch story. About 15 yrs ago, I received a Swiss Army stainless pocket watch for Xmas, and carried it all the time. I usually carried it in its little leather "wallet" in my pocket. About 10 years ago, it was missing upon my return from a successful afternoon of deer hunting. I realized that, once again, I'd mistaken the access slit in my coveralls for the pocket and it had probably fallen out of my pant-leg as I walked over to the dress the deer from the spot I'd been standing when I took the deer. I had checked the time (3:50 PM) right after she went down, before I went over.

Next spring, I rented a metal detector for 1/2 day and re-traced my steps from where I was standing on watch to the place I'd dressed her out; then, from there to where I'd parked the van. I found all sorts of metal do-dads, none of which were of any value--old rim for a headlight, some cans, other scraps...but no watch.

That Xmas, my girlfriend bought me another!
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
alvin
User

My assessment was correct. The watchmaker called me, the main spring is broken. Besides replacing the broken spring, it needs cleaning and oiling as well. If I don't do it, it does not work anymore. If I do it, the cost can easily buy a working one on ebay. But I will still do it. The logic is simple: If buy another one, it's in unknown status. At least, I know this one's mode. One working PW in hand is better than two broken ones.

This hobby is somewhat troublesome. The subject collectible is too fragile. The initial cost is modest, but as long as it keeps running, it could become a money sink If put aside without winding,,,,,,, this is not a rare model, nor a precious metal cased model,,,,,, if this one does not run, which one will run
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Now you got me going through boxes in my Attic...Stuff packed & moved twice, over a 35 year span...(and never unpacked)...

When my father died in 1971, my sisters packed up what little personal items he had and saved them for me (I was overseas)...

This pocket watch was among them...It's a Westclox 'Pocket Ben'...I have no idea how old it is/was, or if it is a cheap bottom-end watch...I recall that it originally had a piece of ribbon holding the fob to the watch...Somehow that ribbon dried up and fell to pieces, so I put this little chain on it, just so I wouldn't lose the fob...

There is a stamp inside that reads 10 56 but there was nothing special that happened on that date (in my family), so that may or may not be the manufacture date...

No idea why my father had it...He did wear a wristwatch, but that seems to have disappeared before I got home...

I don't recall if the Westclox kept good time or not...I've never been a watch person...(I don't own one now - haven't since about 1983)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westclox.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	36434  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
alvin
User

Postino, welcome back! From the hand style of the watch, I guess it's made in 1940s.
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
Shearwater6
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Yup..Ya gotta love those old timepieces. A real thing of beauty! I used a pocket watch when I was 16. I was an underground hardrock miner. Drilling and blasting. We carried ours in a small can you had to unscrew to get at the watch. Pretty sure from what I remember it was part of a dustmask? It was hard duty at 2000 feet underground...
I was an air leg miner too! That is some hard graft!!
Shearwater6 is offline   Reply With Quote