LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:25 PM   #1
Marvin
User

Default Luger Storage, Oils & Lubricants

In the past week or so, we have had a few comments on differnt oils, lubricants, and storage procedures. I have commented to some of the threads and gave MY opinion as to how I protect my pistols.

There are a lot of different oils and lubricants on the market and most do a reasonable job. The most single important ingredient to protecting our investment is to check the pistols on a regular basis. If you live in an area close to the shore, look at them often! If you live in a desert area, you may not have to look at them but once or twice a year. In the Northwest section of South Carolina, we have low humidity in the Spring, Fall and Winter, but in the summer, the humidity is high. I check my pistols closely in the summer just as a precaution, but I also have the vault dehumidified. If you have a safe, vaultm etc., I would recommend that you get one of the heating element rods, or a humidity absorbent. They do work! One product which is very good is called "Damp Rid". It comes in a butter tub type container and the material can be added as it is used up. A dump of the collected water once a week is sufficient and it also keeps the old oil smell down in the safe.

Rust protection of our "Toys" is up to the owner, wipe them down after handling, use a quality oil/grease, and they will be around for many genenrations to come.

Marvin

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Luger Storage, Oils & Lubricants

Very true Marvin.

When I lived in Montana I went shooting with my son and wasn't thinking, took my S&W 25-2 and stuck it up on the shelf. Well, going from cold to warm, it developed condensation and now I have some surface rust. Very irratating, and it was so easy to screw up and do that.

Ed

Unread 03-12-2002, 08:44 PM   #3
Herb
User

I agree with Marvin, I keep all of my firearms in a gun safe which has 30 pounds of silica gel in bags in it. Have never had a problem with rust. I re-oil them about once a year, or every time I take them out to enjoy. I use Birchwood Casey Sheath on them. I live in south-central Utah and the humidity is usually fairly low except in the winter.

Unread 03-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
R. Grady/Roadkill

When I'm in a hunting mode in the winter I don't bring my guns in unless I'm not going back out for a few days for that reason. Just lock them in the truck. WWII (US and Eastern front) and Korea veterans never brought their guns into a heated area the winter. The condensation forms almost immediately and when brought outside they froze up completely. They also stripped the oil off and added it when the gun heated up.

Roadkill

Unread 03-12-2002, 09:48 PM   #5
The Shadow

Default Storage, Oils & Lubricants

Many guns are ruined by putting them in a zipper case and then moving them from a cool place to a hot car trunk or house...and then not wiping them down and oiling them.

they will be soaking wet! Folks in the rebluing business just love it!

The Shadow Knows!

Unread 03-14-2002, 12:56 AM   #6
JAMES
User

A simple and cheap de-humidifier is installing an incandescent light bulb in the safe, and leaving it on all the time. Usually 40 watts is plenty, but more doesn't hurt.