LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
minigun
User

Default KU Lugers

Hello,
I've started to check out KU's lately. Not actually looking for one to get necessarily, but just looking at their history. I didn't know these were so full of theories and unknowns.

Just checking with the experts out there (as my primary study is in the P.38's), from what I'm gathering, these were Luftwaffe issued pistols. The assemblies were from mis-shaped left over Mauser parts or parts that weren't aligned well or simply left overs, put together and then issued out to the Luftwaffe.

The location of assembly is in question as some think they were assembled into the concentration camp system OR Krieghoff factory assembled (or maybe both). The connection I've learned as to whether they were assembled at Krieghoff is that there is some "star rejection" stamps on these that Krieghoff used AND the connection with the Luftwaffe as Kreighoff was assembling Lugers for them. So, to me, that would make sense in that Krieghoff was given all these parts and assembled 5K Lugers from these parts.

Then, there's the years in which they were assembled. The 1944 time range was given and this could be, but I'm wondering as these KU's have numbered grips (I think, at least the one's in the books I have seen seem to have numbered grips). The Germans stopped numbering pistol grips in '41 I think, so the 1941 time frame might seem likely. And, especially if they were numbering the mags to the gun as well. That stopped in '42 with the P.38's.

Is my education on these correct? Also, I'm reading in Jan's books that these came with numbered mags, in plastic and aluminum bottoms. So, were the black plastic bottom'ed mags numbered to the guns as well? I don't think I've come across any "numbered black plastic bottom'ed mags" before.

Just trying to learn my newly discovered interest in the KU's. Neat history that I really didn't know existed.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I doubt that the Ku Lugers were made from rejected parts. More likely they were made from spare parts stocked by higher level armory echelons within the German military. After all, with the switch to the P.38, they would be making parts surplus since replacement pistols would not be Lugers after 1942.

While Mauser likely made most of the parts originally, they would want to be able to distinguish from Mauser made and warranted complete pistols, hence the markings.

The receivers on these pistols range back into the 1930s...

I put together a summary overview of current thought last year. It's posted at:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...2&highlight=ku

Marc
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
minigun
User

Well that's just incredibly cool. Thanks for the link & education material. That's neat you all have a "KU Club". Hopefully the KU mystery will be totally solved one day-especially where these were made. I'm still not convinced on the year of manufacture.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote