LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
CamaroDMD
User

Default Looking for My First Luger

I have finally gotten to the point where I can afford to pick up my first Luger. I have wanted one for many years and now that I have gotten through school I have the savings that will allow me to purchase one.

Here is what I am looking for...I would like advice about what I should keep in mind for my search. First and foremost, I want a gun to shoot. I don't want a safe queen or anything too perfect. I would prefer a WWII military issue, I was thinking a 41 or 42 Mauser would be ideal. I would like to find a gun mostly matching (if not all matching) and decent original finish. I would live without 100% matching numbers (maybe a mismatched mag or something) but I don't want a cobbled together Russian capture.

There is a larger gun show in my area this weekend and in the past they have had a few Lugers for sale. I'm going to go in the hopes of finding what I am looking for but I'm not locked on buying one if I don't find the right piece. I would like to pick up a gun in the $800 range but I think I will be carrying $1000 with me.

What advice could you give me about looking for a Luger? I think I am fairly specific in what I want...but I also feel that what I want is fairly common. Any advice or info would be very helpful. Thanks.
CamaroDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Curly1
User

Put a want to buy post here in the forum.

Lugers, shooters or collectables, are usually way over priced at the fun shows, unless you get lucky and find someone walking around with one to sell at a decent price.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
Put a want to buy post here in the forum.

Lugers, shooters or collectables, are usually way over priced at the fun shows, unless you get lucky and find someone walking around with one to sell at a decent price.
+ 1 on the gun show buys. Typically, gun show Lugers are purposely over priced, and are used as teasers.

Russian capture/VoPo refurbs are not the cobbled together junk you seem to think they are. They are assembled from parts that meet the design specifications and the work is done by arsenal armorers...Many who were arsenal or factory technicians before they were captured/liberated [choose one ]...East Germany used these pistols as reserve weapons, and many have new barrels which have never even been shot...

A VoPo/Russian capture IMO is an excellent choice for a first Luger...And should meet your ~$700 - ~$1000 price range...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
padredan
User

Roger that, judge each one you find in your price range till you find the right one.