LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
buymore
User

Default I just got a 1939 S/42...some questions about parts

1939 S/42 5X28 It is all matching except magazine 7039 (but I was told by several people it is period correct...alum. bottom...same eagel 63 inspect. marks as gun.) I bought it missing the locking bolt and sideplate and the left grip panel has a broken piece up by the mag release....shame. they're matching grips! My question is mostly about the locking bolt......I need to know does this gun need a "28" marked locking bolt or is it blank? I saw a seller selling a blank one that had "s/42" on the top of it. I already ordered some parts just to get it back together ("25" locking bolt and repro side plate) so I can shoot it. I want to work on correct parts now. I have less than $700 total in it with the parts, but It's an almost matching shooter that doesn't have a lot of internal wear. I may not have done a stellar buy, but I am happy so far.

Last edited by buymore; 01-19-2013 at 07:13 AM.
buymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Hugh Clark on this board is a master at working with wood grips. He can probably repair the "million dollar chip" in your original grip.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "locking bolt". Is it the take down lever that fits into the frame? They were numbered on military pistols.

Unfortunately, the side plate is another story. These were not only hand fitted, but they were uniquely numbered to the pistol. Mauser put the last two s/n digits on the outside, but the first two digits +1 got stamped on the inside of the plate. One plate in 10,000 will have the right combination.

It's unlikely that you can chase parts into making this a matching Luger. I would just shoot it as you have it if it's in good mechanical condition.

Marc
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
buymore
User

well...I bought a repro sideplate for now to make it work! Your right.....I had some fitting to do on that also.....working with my repro made me notice how some Ebay sellers are trying to pass off repros as originals! I saw several over the past few days that had no internal milling marks or numbers and they stated "original" WWII parts. I did try to at least make mine look original for my own pride and it looks ok. I have less than $700 in a good shooter that is almost matching. I'm going to a gunshow tomorrow and hoping to find a left grip that is close to the same color and not too much$$. If gun isn't going to match, I'll make it look good and keep the other grip in case I can get it repaired.
buymore is offline   Reply With Quote