LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
JoeMomma
User

Default 1915 dwm

First post here, and need some advice please. I might have a chance to buy this, but neither I, or the seller has a good idea of what the value is.
From what I can tell, its a DWM 1915 that has obviously seen better days, and is most definatly a shooter grade Luger. Every part that is numbered is matching with either the full number, or the last two digits, with the exception of the axis pin, which has no number at all, and both grips.
The grips look to be old, and the right one is stamped with what looks like a C...but thats it. Possibly early post war replacements?

From the pics, you can see that the left side has some pretty bad pitting, but the right side is a little better. The barrel is a little dark, and has minor pitting, but really not too bad considering the rest of the pistol.
The magazine is not matching, but is the correct WWI type with the wood bottom. It does have a holster, but its in very poor shape, and is missing the flap on the tool pouch, and the entire spare magazine pocket is missing.
Its my best guess that the value would be between $400-$500, but I'd like other opinions on this since I want to offer the owner a fair price.
I'd like to try and restore this one as much as possible, and want to know if this is even worth the effort. Here are a few pics, but I can take some tomorrow in better lighting outside if needed:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JoeMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
jamese
User

I think your opinion as to price is spot on !
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamese View Post
I think your opinion as to price is spot on !
+ 1

As for 'restoring'...If that's what you want, buy one that has already been professionally restored...

This Luger is a shooter...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

You can float it around for restoration, maybe past our own Thor, but it would be a bit like lighting money on fire and throwing it in the trash can. You will never get your money back out of the project.
Your price guestimate is approprate.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
JoeMomma
User

Thanks for the replys! I should have been a little more clear on talking about restoring this. I plan on doing this myself, and will not try and restore it to 95% condition or better, and instead will opt for a used look.
I just want to get rid of that awfull pitting on the left side, and restore some of the strawing, put a little more color back on the frame and barrel, then replace the mainspring and striker spring, and get a decent repro holster.

What is the story with the axis pin? I always thought these were numbered to the pistol, and this is blank.

Are the grips older repros?
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

The $400-$500 pricing estimate would only apply if this is a fully functional Luger. Fires and operates properly.

Unless you're planning on TIG welding away the pitting, then re-milling the surface and re-bluing it (it is rust blued, not salt blued - a very different process) it might be best to just leave it at it's historic best and enjoy it for what it is.

I think it has quite a bit of character!

If I'm not mistaken, this finish damage and pitting on the left side is typical of storing a Luger inside a holster in a moist environment. It could be an example for a stickie on holsters...

Marc
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
JoeMomma
User

I'm pretty sure the guy will let me shoot at least one magazine through it.
I have thought about just leaving it alone if I do buy it, and maybe I will. I'll take some better pictures today in natural light and post them here.
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,546 Times in 951 Posts

The axial pin is correct with no number. This came later. Since this is in such bad shape I wouldn't pay more than $350.The problem is that no matter what you do to it ,it will always be a worked over luger. If the barrel is really bad it may not even be a decent shooter. It is hard to buy guns from friends. You want to be fair bit what you offer they probably do not think as fair. People think all lugers regardless of condition are rare and valuable. Show these posts to your friend and make a deal if you are sure this is what you want. Bill
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
JoeMomma
User

Thanks for the info on the axis pin. Guys, I'm just looking to get an inexpensive shooter, nothing more. I would love to own a $2000 Luger someday, but right now I cannot come with that kind of money for a pistol I would not shoot much, if it all.

Any ideas on the grips? Did earlier models like this have serial numbers applied, or was this later?
They don't look or feel like new ones to me, but I really have no idea if they are real or not.
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

The grips look pretty authentic. They may be armorer's replacements.