LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Rugger
User

Default 1938 s/42

I have just received this 1938 S/42 Mauser. Appears reblued. All matching except mag, which is off by about 500 numbers. Proper Mauser blued tube mag. Very good bore. Functions perfectly. Came with additional Haenel second series FXO mag. Price was $900.00. Your opinions and comments will be very much appreciated. I would also appreciate your help with a doubt. As you can see, there is a fairly large gap between the base and the body of the original Mauser magazine. I have examined the mag carefuly and it is properly assembled and functions flawlessly. Is the existance of this gap normal? Also, the mag does not fully seat against the butt of the pistol; it engages correctly in its place and works appropriately with the pistol though. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Unread 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

I think the mag bottom does not belong with this mag. The square cut mag bottom, I believe, is period correct for your Mauser. The bottom is correct for that period mag, but is installed instead in a mag with a bias-cut bottom, and incorrectly, to boot, because there should be a pin thru everything, centered thru the pull knobs. Search around on the site for a pic of the fxo style mag and you'll see what I mean. G.T., here on the forum, is our resident mag craftsman. He'll likely chime in here soon and let you know what your options are to straighten this out.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
rolandtg
User

What is the suffix letter on the frame?
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Miguel, Congratulations on your Luger! Yes it has been re blued..Not a too high a price for a pistol and 2 mags.

The magazine bottom appears improper to say the least. The magazine bottom looks like it has taken a hit and has been dented. Front to back. If this is the point of impact it is possible the aluminum pull was squashed in a little. If the pull is not extended it's full length it would be loose like you show. There could be no other reason for it to fall out..

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Rugger
User

Thanks to all! Suffix is "C" as is the mag. The mag botttom does not fall off; everything in the mag appears correct except for the space between bottom and body. As far as I have read in Gortz & Stugess, the mag and its parts are period correct for 1938. FXO mags were first issued at the end of 1941.

Best regards,
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Rugger
User

Could anyone kindly share contact information for "GT"? I need a solution to the mag issue.

Best regards,
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
The magazine bottom appears improper to say the least. The magazine bottom looks like it has taken a hit and has been dented. Front to back. If this is the point of impact it is possible the aluminum pull was squashed in a little. If the pull is not extended it's full length it would be loose like you show. There could be no other reason for it to fall out..
Thanks Jerry, having reexamined the pic with one in hand, the mag bottom is not the FXO style. I'll have to agree that it is a proper pair (body and bottom--and I had blown the info on the FXOs date) but the bottom is torqued out of position. I can see the deformation you point out as the point of impact in the right side view of the mag; also the front rim of the bottom edge seems deformed/stretched out, which would be the area that would do so if the bottom were torqued in that direction, with the pin as pivot point, while squished by the force that made the dent. What had me jiggered is the extent that the inner lines of the mag bottom that are visible are parallel with the body lengthwise. Or is that an illusion?
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Gerald Tomek <gctomeks@msn.com>

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."