LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
cdmech
User

Default Bring Back Concerns

I picked up about 50 old American Rifleman magazines dating from 1945 to 1953 and a few others at a garage sale. I thought you all would enjoy reading about the dangers of shooting that German pistol you brought back with you from the war. This article is from September 1946.
I don't know if it's okay to scan and share an article like this, so if it's not let me know and I'm sorry. If its okay, enjoy! Also, if there is a better way to attach this, someone let me know. I tried for a larger image, but when I attached the file it automatically reduces it. I might find more stuff you guys would like. These magazines are loaded with history from the late and post war era. The editorials by C.B. Lister absolutely need to be read again today. My son and I are devouring them!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	That foreign ammo.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	27456  

cdmech is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to cdmech for your post:
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Douglas Jr.
User

Marc,

Very interesting reading. Thanks a lot for sharing it.
Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
CJS57
User

Back in the 1960's we were always told to not shoot the black tipped "submachine gun" ammo! Too hot for general handgun use! On another note, what are the "many built-in faults" of the P-38? I once saw a cracked slide on a CYQ, but I have also seen cracked parts on most all handguns ever made (1911's, Lugers, S&W's)!
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Whether true or not, the CYQ pistols always had a reputation as being suspect in quality because CYQ, (Spreewerk) used a high percentage of slave laborers, which tended to sabotage German production. I have seen one CYQ pistol with a cracked slide, which showed evidence of a sawblade cut on the inside of the slide rail to weaken it, but I don't know how prevalent this practice was, considering that being caught implied a death sentence.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,200 Posts

Decent article. The British Sten loads killed a lot of pistol actions over the years. The mE is actually relatively safe to shoot, but the higher velocity and the steel core may produce unwanted results at the range. The major problem in the P08 was the tendency for steel cased ammunition to get stuck, because of the step in the chamber. Mauser developed a reamer during WW2 that allowed a field armorer to remove the step, thus making the P08 able to shoot steel cased ammunition without possible jams.

The worst ammunition isn't mentioned in the article, the SE bullet (Sintereisen / sintered iron). This bullet wears out the barrel quicker than you want, producing nice sparks in the process.

Another drawback of surplus WW2 steel cased ammunition is the possible corrosion of the steel case on the inside, caused by the deterioration of the powder. Several US collectors have reported 9mm rounds that had been virtually eaten away from the inside.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post: