LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
rob00000
User

Default GT.....A true American craftsman!!

Guys, I heard about GT at the forum here and how he was the man to go to for mag repair. I sent him a wooden bottom mag for my 1917 DWM. This gun is all original with all matching parts including the mag. The mag was in sorry shape but I had to do all I could to try to save it. One of the knobs broke off years ago, possibly on the battlefield, who knows. The other knob broke off the mag in transit when the gun was shipped. I reglued that knob back onto the mag with wood glue & sent it to GT hoping & praying he could save my sorry looking original mag. GT emailed me telling me he believed that he could fix it. I left him alone to work on it & only occasionally emailed him to check on it. He later told me that my mag with the damage it had was the hardest most challenging mag that he has faced yet. But, being the craftsman that he is, he didn't give up, send me back my mag & payment. Nope, he rose to the challenge! It took a while but I figured it's best to be patient and leave a true craftsman alone to work at his own pace & time. I knew it would be worth the wait. Well, I received my mag a few days ago & I must say this man, GT, has exceeded my wildest expectations! I know that he spent a lot of time on this mag from some of his emails detailing the work that he did. He had to redo my repair, make a new knob to replace the missing knob. He also made some type of insert on both ends so the knobs were secure & wouldn't snap off. He also had to glue wood shavings (wood dust) into some of the little holes. On top of all that he had to somehow match the color of the new wood with the old 1917 wood. How the hell do you do that? Well, get this! He used old wood (european?) & it matched PERFECTLY!! I really mean PERFECTLY! Also, the side that had a missing knob was all uneven so he somehow cut a piece of wood to match that side as uneven as it was. How the hell he pulled that off is a freaking mystery to me. I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted you all to have some kind of an idea of what this guy had to overcome to complete this repair. I know there are steps and problems that I am not even aware of but this should give you an idea of what he accomplished. In this day & age with pretty much everything made in China, it's rare & a breath of fresh air to encounter an individual such as GT who does things by hand the old fashioned way. A man who knows his craft, who obviously has tremendous pride in his work & let's nothing but the best work leave his shop. Wow! What more can I say? I know that his time & work was worth more then he charged me. I'm attaching a before photo & a couple of after photos. GT, thank you so much! If the old saying is true, that what goes around comes around, then you have a lot of good stuff coming your way GT!!! Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mag.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	26818  

Name:	mag1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	26819  

Name:	mag2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	26820  

Name:	mag3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	26821  

rob00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to rob00000 for your post:
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Ice
User

Some gun folks are real professionals; some are really good folks. GT has both qualities and that is a rare combination indeed.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ice for your post:
Unread 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts

I couldn't agree more! I send all my mags to GT. I am always thrilled with his work.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Kitkat041836
RIP

He is the best there is out there by far,a master at what he does and is honest as the day is long.
Thanks G.T. Keep up the good work.
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,640 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default mag repair...

WoW!! Just read this thread!! Thanks Rob, I can honestly say it was the toughest repair by far, I have ever done... ...But, sometimes, actually many times... it's not about the reward, it's about the journey.. I am totally happy I could make it so for you... .. Thanks again for the kind words, and thanks to all my customers for their un-failing support... Best to all, ......til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
hyrax222
User

Default Of All the Forums I visit..

It seems the best craftsmen and artist reside here. Best at their specialty and the best type of people...
hyrax222 is offline   Reply With Quote