LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
bronzeo
User

Default Late into collecting Lugers?

I certainly have waited for an expensive time to collect Lugers, but never the less will go forward cautiously. I have to date about 80 guns of mostly flintlock/percussion era, plus a few top breaks and then several pythons and the like..... I have always had an eye for the Luger, and have been reading quite a bit about them. The values are very diverse and complicated, although I have some descent reference material to work with. Prices on the gun sales sources (a wide variety) are usually much higher than spoke of in the reference books. What I need is to buy my first Luger, and I would like to get started in the right direction. I would like it to be a nice clean military issue, with a budget of between 1200 and 2500. Since this is an investment, I need to buy at a fair but bargain price. Could anyone suggest makers/models, that perhaps would be a good first experience in Lugers. Thanks much.
bronzeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

They all have their fans so recommending one over another is tough, sort of a personal decision. Buy a book or 2 and narrow your search. WW2 are a bit less ornate in finish, but allegedly make bettter shooters.
Some like Swiss, some Artillery, etc. Creep around the Simpsons, Ltd. web site and see what makes your crank turn.
And now is not a bad time to buy Lugers, as prices are down due to a sucky economy. Who knows what they will be worth in 10 years? I certainly don't, but I want them now, not later.
Welcome.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place to get that info.

Do you care if it was WWI or WWII military issue?

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
alvin
User

$2500 can buy a very nice "Black Widow", which was made by Mauser in 1941 & 1942. Very popular and very distinctive. I hope I could have one. But with other desire,,,, probably I will try Mauser Banner instead, I like that banner over encoded names....
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
bronzeo
User

I guess I don't too much but since my collection to date is of a much earlier period, WW1 would be my first choice. I like the type of bluing finish better, I believe. I probably looking for a budget of about 1500.00 for my first one, and would like it to be service related. I went to the Simpson site. Many nice guns, but I think I have seen several equivalently prices at other sites. They really have a large selection there. ....I have the 2012 Standard Catalog of Firearms, which have a fairly nice detailed section on Lugers.
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
alvin
User

I got 2009 copy of that catalog. I bet 2012 does not change much. DWM WWI Military, 98% original finish, all matching, fine bore, unmarred wood, book value $1500.... that mission impossible on Simpson. Private sale maybe.
Unread 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
bronzeo
User

Yes, I agree, the catalog certainly doesn't match with the internet pricing, but the basic info was pretty informative. Still a lot to learn on the oddities. There is a lot of difference in enthusiast purchase and investment purchase. I'm just hoping to find a reasonable entry point that I can at least get my money back on and learn from there. Lugers, are the hardest that I have encountered to date because of the rareity factor. I'm just looking to get in at a get-out price until I learn more... Thanks for all the replies.
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
alvin
User

During gun show, I saw a few dealers inspecting Lugers sold to them.... gun owner/seller stood next to the tables, watching the process and waiting for dealer's offering price. According to retail listing price, I bet dealer's buying cash cost could not be higher than $1500.... so it's definitely possible. Those owners can sell to dealers, then, they can sell to you..... greenback is same.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Jack, and welcome to the forum.

Keep your eye on this forum. Every so often, some of the members do sell some pretty exceptional Lugers. The retail dealers are priced to cover their overhead and a profit. Often a collector can afford to sell something similar for less. I tend to think of the retail prices as the amount to insure a firearm for.

If you haven't already done so, consider getting a Class 03 Curio and Relic Federal Firearm License. It makes collecting much easier.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post: