LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-02-2002, 11:50 PM   #1
MikeP
User

Default Second thoughts

I have remarked several times about shooting all my lugers-have under 20-as well as a few other stupid activities.

In reference to the Erfurt I posted a question about--this was a great looking gun with little visible wear on any moving surface-barrel was perfect. While looking with a loupe at markings to make sure I was correct in thinking a couple were missing, I noticed right next to the extractor was a hairline crack beginning near the bolt face and extending along the left side of the extractor nearly its full length-I could not see it with naked -though aging, eye. Wonder if that is related to replaced firing pin?

The older I get the more that sort of thing gets my attention-am currently reconsidering shooting some of those old guns.

If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough. Not giving up my panhead, though.

Unread 02-03-2002, 12:05 AM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: Second thoughts

Mike; if you use one of the newer fluted firing pin the danger of cracked bolts goes to almost nil.

Lonnie

Unread 02-03-2002, 12:49 AM   #3
Rick K
User

Mike,

Get a shooter! Let Thor refinish it for you. Save all your others and don't shoot them! They are precious! Just my two cents.

Unread 02-03-2002, 03:18 AM   #4
JAMES
User

Panhead? Are you talking Harley? If so, I know what you are talking about. I have a shovelhead and its one of the three things I own that I don't want to ever get rid of.

Unread 02-03-2002, 06:59 AM   #5
Luke
User

Rick,

Quandry. Since Thor has refinished my shooters they look so good that I am now also reluctant to shoot the shooters. Oh, well.

Unread 02-03-2002, 07:47 AM   #6
Kyrie
User

Hi Mike,

What an excellent post - thank you!

The problem (as you have just pointed out) in shooting old firearms is they may no longer be mechanically safe to shoot. Before even loading a recently acquired Luger (or any other firearm) it should be carefully inspected to be sure it is mechanically sound. Lugers that are mechanically sound and are fired should be subject to periodic safety inspection to be sure they remain mechanically sound. Any problems that are found should be fixed before the pistol is used again.

The most dangerous mechanical problems in self-loading pistols are problems with the barrel, chamber, breech block, and system of retaining the slide or bolt in the firearm when it is fired. A failure in any of these areas can leave the shooter gravely injured - or dead.

The crack you have found indicates the breechblock has begun to fail, and may come apart during firing. If it does come apart during firing, and depending on exactly how it fails ultimately, the shooter may get very high pressure and very hot chamber gases in the face; bystanders are at grave risk from pieces of the breechblock.

Letâ??s be careful out there....

Best regards,

Kyrie