LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
azlaw
User

Default Erma EP-22 - Stay On or Get Off?

So, I was at the gun show, and one thing and another this Erma EP-22 followed me home. It is not the hated LP-22, but then again it does not cycle with standard .22 LR ammunition. In studying it, I think that I can coax it into working with usual .22 pistol fixes like ammunition changes, polishing the feed ramp and tweaking the feed lips, but this gives rise to a question: the gun is in pretty clean shape - is it better to sell it to a collector? To be clear, it has no box or papers, and only one magazine, and some finish wear.

Yes, I know pictures are required, and I will see about those. But does anybody care about these things at this point in time? There was a time when Lllama .22s were considered worthless, and now just try to find one south of $400...

The gun is kind of cool, a Luger replica with an actual toggle bolt action. Not exactly a lot of money at issue either way.

Opinions please?

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I can't tell anyone what to do concerning buying/selling a gun, but I still have, and shoot, my 2 long barrel (carbine type) Erma 22s. I have owned mine for 30+ years, and bought them new. I did polish the feed ramps and the chambers, and smoothed the undersides of the feed lips on the mags. I can not swap mags from gun to gun, unless I want jams. The mags are specific, at least on my guns. My guns will function well on Federal bulk ammo, and others, but there are some brands that are a no go. I would stay away from the HV rounds, as they were not made for them. My guns like to be kept clean, and well lubed, just like my Luger.

I enjoy shooting mine, and I just think that they are a neat piece. There are a couple of places that have parts for them.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

H, I agree that these Erma lugers were designed to function with standard velocity .22LR rounds. I've given up working on them, as it seems that the spring balance (recoil to FP springs) easily goes out of wack, and they don't want to function reliably. TH
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Olle
User

I have an LA-22 that I bought as a basket case, and thanks to Tom it's now complete. However, I have spent many hours trying to make it cycle properly, polishing, changing springs etc and I finally took Tom's advice and just quit fooling with it. I hate to admit defeat, but it was just not worth the aggravation. I have heard some saying that they work like a charm, but there's just as many saying that they're unreliable so I guess it depends on if you're lucky or not.

The material is soft and weak, the design is flawed by the attempt to incorporate the toggle and I look at it as a conversation piece, more or less. If I found one in perfect condition and at the right price I'd buy it as collectible, but I wouldn't buy one as a shooter.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
pitsword
User

Dealer friend of mine has a Erma .22 carbine with box. Looks to be every nice. He said that there were only 350 of them made. Is that correct? He is asking $900 for it, way too high in my estimation. However I know nothing of them.
pitsword
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitsword View Post
Dealer friend of mine has a Erma .22 carbine with box. Looks to be every nice. He said that there were only 350 of them made. Is that correct? He is asking $900 for it, way too high in my estimation. However I know nothing of them.
pitsword

I would be surprised if only 350 for them were made, but I have been wrong many times before. I own 2 of them, and see another one come out to our gun shows from time to time. That price seems high to me, but as I said before, I have been wrong many times. If I remember correctly, the one that occasionally shows up for sale is in the original box, and looked good(I did not closely examine it), and was priced at $550-600. I don't know how anyone could find out just how many were made/imported.....but I would like to know.
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Interesting.....I was just viewing some guns on GunsAmerica, and there is a fella there that has, what looks like, a very nice long bbl. Erma Navy Carbine with the original box. He wants $995.00 for it. I will be watching this closely, as I don't believe that it will bring that much, but who knows?? Stranger things have happened. Perhaps these guns are more rare than I thought(Erma long bbl.)
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have had several and could not get them to work.
Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus38 View Post
I have had several and could not get them to work.
Bob

Both of mine work great. They are mildly ammo sensitive, but, luckily, they love Federal Bulk .22s. I did polish the feed ramps, and chamber.
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Chinboogie
User

Default Hoping to get an LA 22

I am not as familiar with the Ermas as I am with the Stoegers. My Stoeger is extra clean and after a while of pushing rounds thru its old self it now doesnt mis a blink with any ammo. I mostly use CCI though.

Is this one a dice toss or should I give it a whack(not literally )? I am familiar with working on all types of firearms and air guns. Plus I have the time on my hand as I am partially disabled by spinal compression. Hopefully temporary. But I cant work or drive so I really enjoy working on guns.

Hypothetically for under 300 is it worth the chance. Is the collectability going to cover the potential investment?

One clue-it looks like its been used a lot(in a good way) not abused but maybe holsterd or a lot of handling.

What say thee?

Thanks-Chinboogie
Chinboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Chinboogie.
Pass,pass and pass.
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Curly1
User

Run like hell and don't look back.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,555 Times in 954 Posts

Very good advise above. Bill
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
Chinboogie
User

Default Thanks

Ive heeded the helpful advice. Thats why I come here. To learn!
Chinboogie is offline   Reply With Quote