LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country
Default Can it be a nickel bringback?

I have seen many discussion items about Nickel plated lugers. Most refer to vet bring backs which have been plated after being brought back. A friend has one that I may be able to trade for. It is a complete rig with matching numbered mag and he says is in perfect shape. He says his dad said it is as he brought it back and said it was an officer's weapon and is nickel plated. Is that apt to be true and is there much interest in such an item? Also, what value would consitute a fair trade. If I get it, will I have a rare item or common or a HO-HUM item?
Thanks
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
nukem556
User

No, it's not true.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
the gunman
User

"no no no it"s not true"
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
GerColctor
User

It was nickeled when the it brought it home. The process probably also included buffing the metal. This was quite common in the late 1940 - 50s to either nickel or chrome plate pistols, bayonets, helmets, etc. In those years chrome (bright) was big, just look at the cars made during that time period.

It was not an officer's pistol just because it is nickeled, anymore then it was issued to the SS or a top scoring fighter pilot or Hitler's body guards, etc. These stories are all "bs" in an attempt to enhanse the value of the item. By nickel or chrome plating a Luger the value is reduced to about half of what it would be if the pistol was it original condition. It now is just a "shooter". Yet there are collectors who really like these "dressed up" weapons.

No idea of estimated value without info on the Luger. Is it military, police or commerical? When was it made? Serial #. It should be dated on the chamber if military or most police. Is it .30 cal or 9mm? What kind of grips, condition of the bore, etc. Pictures arew most helpful.

In this collectable field, buy the item, not the story.
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

Jack..Ever on the hunt as I am for the rare and out of the ordinary..One could not say with 100% certainty that the pistol in question is a chrome doorstop. There were Nickled Lugers. They are so rare that you would instantly see not only the nickle but the presentation engraving fancy grips etc. Sooo. Not likely original as stated so well above. So you have to look at it. Show it off here but if it is the ordinary Luger with a pimp suit..worth about $600. As a shooter... if you like that sort of thing.

GOOD LUCK!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
CAP Black
User

Default understood

if I have learned anything in my three years of reading what the masters have to say is to be skeptical. I will eyeball for signs of coating over the top of numbers, proof marks, etc. And will post pictures for the shrewd ones to take a gander at. I am still amazed at what you all can discern from the pictures. Thanks for applying my mental brakes for me and allowing me to regain my perspective prior to jumping into an overpriced opportunity.
Mucho gracias.
Jack::
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerColctor View Post
It was not an officer's pistol just because it is nickeled, anymore then it was issued to the SS or a top scoring fighter pilot or Hitler's body guards, etc. These stories are all "bs" in an attempt to enhanse the value of the item. By nickel or chrome plating a Luger the value is reduced to about half of what it would be if the pistol was it original condition. It now is just a "shooter". Yet there are collectors who really like these "dressed up" weapons.
I seriously doubt that anyone would be issued a plated pistol (I simply can't see a reason for it), but is it possible that Lugers or any other guns were plated by the soldier who carried it? The reason I ask is that i bought a plated Bergmann-Bayard a while back, and I found that it was quite common that Danish officers using these often had them plated to show off their rank. Granted, this was probably before or during WWI, but would it be possible that this also happened in Germany during WWI and/or WWII?
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I vote no simply because of the German mastry of efficiency and bureaucracy. They simply could not stand to have their soldiers customizing their weapons.
My $ .02.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Remember, we are talking Germany and lugers here. I say that because there are known PPK's and other german guns that WERE nickle plated (or the like) and worn by officers.

P08 and P38 were never issued by germans and carried by officers or anyone else nickled.

Other countries had different rules

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
CAP Black
User

Default Yeah, right

Didn't think of other countries in this matter. Wouldn't it be odd if it really was plated before the GI got his hands on it?
Thanks again.Jack
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I'm betting that some capitalists made good money selling souveniers to departing servicemen, and dressing up the goods and weaving a good BS story just might help the sale.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote