LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Knight Diver
User

Default Does this look right?

I just bought a P.08 (1939 Mauser) from a guy who said it was all matching numbers. I know that it had been refinished so the price was consistent with a matching numbers, refinished gun. But as I look at a photo I took, I see something funny on the side plate.

Do you see anything? The inside of the side plate has a 93 on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2325_Luger_side_plate_25.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	19238  

Knight Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

well, the 25 on the take down looks the same....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Knight Diver
User

As I look at it with a magnifying glass it looks like it was double struck. Both strikings look to be 25.

The seller was telling me as we were making the deal that it had a "26" in the inside and that it was correct. He said that Mauser did that and nobody knew why. He meant put a number inside one larger than on the outside. I didn't look at it. But now I see that there isn't a "26" inside, but rather a "93."

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. It's my first Luger and I was trying to be very careful with this purchase. I didn't want to go through that "first time mistake" syndrome I read about here.

Overall I'm happy to have a nice gun. I just don't want to think I missed something.
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Knight Diver
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
well, the 25 on the take down looks the same....
Yes, the font looks identical. Even under a magnifying glass. I'm probably just being paranoid.
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

actually the 93 would be correct and not the 26

from the FAQ (if you haven't read it, please do so, some good info there)

Quote:
#42. Further information on Side plates
* "Doctor Bob VanM... conducted a survey in 1994 with the NAPCA membership. He had over 400 post-1933 Mauser produced Lugers reported. His summary was presented in the AutoMag issue dated 6/94, Pg. 66. My understanding of his conclusions are as follows.
* For the Mauser Army contracts:
- In general, there will be no known relationship for the "K", "G", or 1936's. Some 1936's after the "m" block, may include the Inside Sideplate Number(ISPN); but, some early 1937 S/Var. 1's are known to be correct and are without the ISPN. The transition seemed to appear in the 1936-1937 "m, n, o, p ,&/or q" blocks. A 40k S/N spread was noted as rather large; but, the best that could be obtained based on the data received. Also, sometimes, a single numeric or alpha character may appear on the I/Side of these early side plates, usually in a horizontal attitude, and are thought to be factory (Mauser) worker marks.
- Again, in general for 1937-1938, the last 2 digits of the S/N will appear on the outside and the first 1 or 2 gun S/N digits will appear on the inside for 3 and 4 digit gun S/N's. In the case of a single or 2 digit gun S/N, the ISPN will always be the numeral "1" in a vertical orientation.
- Now for (S/42)1939-(byf)'42, the last 2 digits of the S/N will appear on the outside and the first 2 gun S/N digits + 1 will appear on the inside. As an example, gun S/N 1234 would have a "34" on the O/Side and a "13" as the ISPN throughout this time period. A "99xx" S/N'd gun would have "xx" on the O/Side and "00" as the ISPN (not "100").
* Mismatches are decidedly uncommon among Mauser Army pistols according to Mr. Van M.... Of the 295 reported, only 17 deviated from this pattern of rules(6%).
* Banner contract, Banner Police, '42 Portuguese, "Ku", & Out-of-Sequence Assemblies were much less consistent.
* I don't recall the survey extending to WWI manufacturers/pistols(DWM or Erfurt P.08/LP.08's). I think the Weimar period would be a real mixed bag at best.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Knight Diver
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
actually the 93 would be correct and not the 26

from the FAQ (if you haven't read it, please do so, some good info there)

[/B]
I have been studying the FAQ's here. They are great. I totally missed that bit, though. Guess I was overwhelmed with all the information here. Thanks for pointing that part out to me.