LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
TennBill2
RIP

Default Anyone disassembled a Borchardt?

My question has specifically to do with how the dust covers are retained. I'm guessing here......somehow, I think, the inner part of the frame had to have been recessed so that the 'T' bolt portion was flush when the covers were in place. Otherwise it appears the roller bearings couldn't clear the inside during cocking/recoil. I can't figure how they could mill the inside to do that. Never having seen the insides, I have no clue what they did. Any thoughts, ideas, facts, opinions, ...or SWAG (scientific wild as...ed guess)? Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	326-b.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	18934  

TennBill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

If memory serves, you are supposed to lift the spring steel lip, which is curved up, off the first raised detent and swing it over the second raised detent and the spring steel cover will lift out, but I would wait for more sage advice..
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Looking at Tafel2 from the Borchardt owners manual, that T-thingie can't be very big...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
TennBill2
RIP

Default Thingy.....

Probably should have explained more, this is one I'm building. The 'T' lug would be about 3/16's x 1/4", I'd say. The rectangular hole, in the frame, running lengthwise., It's the inside that's got me bamboozaled. The pic herein is my build, The pic above off the net.
Attached Images

Unread 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spring Cover 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	18936  

Name:	Spring Cover 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	18937  

Name:	Spring Cover 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	18938  

Unread 05-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
TennBill2
RIP

Default Thanks!

It helps to the extent it verifies what I thought of the dust covers construction. The pic with the cover off indicates the rollers seem to butt up against the interior walls of the frame, which is how I made mine. The question is how the interior of the frame was milled. That is, the lugs/'T' lug, whatever you call it, seemingly must be flush with the interior frame wall. But, how the heck to drill, mill, gouge or otherwise make a recess. That, or I'm completely missing something. The only way I can even think to do it is to go in with a 'ball' shaped diamond bit on my dremel flex shaft and just 'hog' it out! Would work I guess, but sloppy, to say the least. Thanks though, Ron, for those pics! Bill
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default hey, bill, you gonna try to fire yours???

be sure and let me know first, so i can get out of town.....
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Wilhelm
User

Somebody needs to do a photo essay on one of these like I did on the Jager. I think it would be invaluable to people doing research. Hint....hint.
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
TennBill2
RIP

Default To Tom!

Heck yes, the first chance I get! I suspect at this point, the value of an original is such, no one would want to chance breaking a part. The design is really pretty straight forward though. I have only fired primered shells (30Mauser) to check head space/firing pin. Not sure of the right mainspring tension just yet, so will start with very soft loads. I think it actually feels better in the carbine roll than as a pistol......just my opinion. And, it would be great to see 'photo essay', these will be lost to history. Though this has been very time consuming, it's less complicated than the first wheellock I built. I'll bet a assembled, disassembled, filed, remade parts a hundred times! The first time it fired, I just stood there....it taking several seconds to realize what had happened.
Attached Images

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
TennBill2
RIP

Default One cover ..partially done!

I found the only way to do this was to 'mill' out a recess inside the frame. How they originally machined this is beyond me! My cover rotates about 90 degrees throught the 'slot'. The 'T' is flush to the inside, in the recess, so that the rollers swing by. I turned the 'T' in 2 parts on the lathe and ground the sides, then silver soldered the 'T' lug. I have still to bend the lip and make/drill the retaining pin. Still the buffer spring to be figured out.
Attached Images

Unread 05-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default persistence always pays off.....let 'er rip bill

...tom
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The T-lug on the Borchardt is actually peened over on the outside of the spring plate to fasten it. I once was handed a nearly pristine Borchardt that some ham-handed individual had attempted to replace the spring plate incorrectly and torqued the T-lug out of alignment. Using a pair of smooth jaw pliers I was able to rotate it back into the proper orientation but I was sweating BBs the whole time. Nothing like risking breaking a part on a $25K+ gun to get your undivided attention.

Bill, I am in awe of your machining skills and reverse-engineering ability. You are really talented.
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Bill, I am in awe of your machining skills and reverse-engineering ability. You are really talented.
+ 1
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
TennBill2
RIP

Default Thanks...

Guys for the kind comments! Truly been a labor of love, getting so close now, get more anxious. It was really neat though to have the gun actually fire a cartridge..........primered only, at this point. Ron, I guessed the lug was peened or riveted from pics, but decided silver soldering was easier. They must have had a special jig to do that originally. Though, it seems that would have been problematic over time, repeatedly prying and pivoting the covers for cleaning. Wouldn't it be great to be able to see the actual tooling used!
Another question though. I notice the pin at the bottom rear of the frame. I'm guessing this may be what held the 'buffer spring' in place?