LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-15-2002, 06:15 PM   #1
dan
User

Default Capture papers

I hear the term "capture papers" Just what are they? My Luger has the papers that my dad brought home with him. Are these captur papers?

Unread 01-15-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Capture papers

Yes that is what they are. The papers officially allowing you to bring the gun / item into the states. (I have also seen actual "capture" papers of Japanese Swords that were turned into the military authorities, so you could use that term also).

With your capture papers, you didn't have to toss it out the window and keep everyone awake from the splashes,

While I was in the service, captured items (friends told me, I never went to Saudi, Iraq, Granada, etc.,) could be brought back, but guns were verbotten. I always wondered, would I have tried to sneak a pistol back?? A AK-47 or 74, no way, too much trouble you can get into...

I know that when they went to over Iraq, all the .45's were switched over to 9MM, and I wondered if there were misplaced guns? But, the last 10 years the army has been a peacetime army, meaning they worry about all the little things and it isn't worth it to stretch the old neck out to far.

Ed

Unread 01-15-2002, 07:13 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Bring Back story repeated for the benefit of Ed Tinker

Here is an old post of mine Ed, that I believe was posted before you joined the forum. Thought you would enjoy this true bring-back story...

just click the link below...

enjoy & regards, John

Bring Back Story-CLICK here!
Unread 01-15-2002, 09:32 PM   #4
MikeP
User

Default Re: Bring Back story repeated for the benefit of Ed Tinker

Refence to topping story of hidden .45s. I happen to have personal knowledge of a Special Forces NCO who on his second trip back to the world in 1970 had a .45 cleverly concealed in his pocket-didn't need no steenkeeng shell casings.

I fired that piece yesterday.

I have a HSc Mauser my father, 506th PIR, brought back--used to have the authorization papers--The inspector wrote down the number that was on the magazine-not the one on the pistol.

Got a firing pin for that piece from T Heller yesterday.

Unread 01-15-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
66mustang

Default :b

Surprised me to see my name John!

Very cool story. Kind of sneakiness I dreamed of concocting if I had the chance...

Ed

Unread 01-16-2002, 07:51 AM   #6
Marvin
User

Does anyone know what the procedure was for getting the Capture Papers? If it was easy, why didn't more of the GIs from WWII get the papers so they could legally bring back the pistols.

Marvin

Unread 01-16-2002, 08:49 PM   #7
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: Capture papers vs Trust in information

Marvin;

After speaking with many combat Vet's.

I fully believe that the main reason was that the most of them dis-trusted the issuing officials, and had fear that their trophys would be confiscated if the had any real value.

ViggoG

Unread 01-17-2002, 12:08 AM   #8
dan
User

Default Re: Capture papers-pic

Here is a copy of the capture papers. It dosen't look like it was that hard for my father. This is just one side.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/capturepapers1.jpg
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:48 AM   #9
MikeP
User

Things in, around, and involving the military change from place to place, day to day, and minute to minute-there simply is not, never has been, and never will be any semblance of the total continuity that some people imagine. I don't mean that offensively, it's just a fact. I spent four years in Special Forces with 20 months on an operational "A" Detachment on the Cambodian Border. It was an experience I would not trade for anything. Being in the military really sucks-but anybody who failed to do any of their obligation really missed out on something.

Unread 01-17-2002, 02:57 AM   #10
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: Capture papers-pic

As we might expect of the "Old Army", It appears that the officer who filler out this paper did'nt know his "A" from his "B" .

This should have been relagated to the Company Staff Sargent, Then I'm sure it would have been filled out right.

No Dis-respect Intended , But he should have read it before he signed it.

ViggoG

Unread 01-17-2002, 06:50 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default There's another type of Capture papers

I have a couple examples of what they looked like filled out but there is no consistency to how they were done. Some were typed and others were handwritten... Anyone interested in seeing the other two examples let me know and I will post them here.

regards,

John

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Ca...nsDocument.jpg