LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Zamo
User

Default My first LP.08 Value? Refinish? Suggestions?

I have finally acquired my first Artillery Luger. It is all matching, and the bore is in nice shape, and the finish is between poor and fair. The metal is dinged here and there with some slight pitting on the barrel, but the bluing is very rough, or missing all together (such as the rear grip strap).
As such, I am wondering if I paid too much for it, or if despite it's all matching condition, it might be a better candidate for a quality restoration? I have taken numerous pictures and posted them on a web site HERE. I bought it cheap enough that I can use it as an occasional shooter, which was always my intent, but refinishing it when it's all matching just goes against all that is holy...
Please take a look and let me know what you would do with this worn old girl.
thanks,
Zamo

My collection:
http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/guns.htm
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Christian,

I think you've got a really nice Artillery. I have a 1917 DWM in the "k" block, made just before your pistol.

It has some honest finish wear. It looks like it's never been "messed with". The witness mark lines right up.

You do need to give some attention to the rust forming around the base of the rear sight.

Other than cleaning it up, and properly lubricating it, I wouldn't change anything about it if it were mine...

You sound anxious over what you paid for it. Is that buyer's remorse I hear? It passes reasonably quickly with Lugers...

As to using it as a shooter. If it's all matching, and you break one of the numbered parts, it won't be all matching anymore.

If it were me, I'd spend what a refinish job would cost on buying a non-matching shooter.

Some of the best advice I've received:

- Buy the gun, not the story.
- It is what it is.
- Altering anything changes the historic value of the gun.

In any case, enjoy it! It's a great LP-08.

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

What did you pay for it?

Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Also, I would not have it refinished

Bob
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Christian, I'm with Bob and Marc, it's a lovely, all original survivor of WW1. I wouldn't touch a thing. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Ice
User

I wouldn't refinish it but enjoy it for what it is. Consider buying a non-matching P08 for a shooter.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I agree that you should do nothing to this fine old warhorse... it is a sight to behold! Enjoy your temporary custody of her, and pass her on to the next generation with pride.

I love your website too. Simple, elegant, and excellent photographs. Only one comment, at the bottom of each individual pistol page there is a link that says "back to pistols" when it really takes you back to the home page... a simple edit will fix that.

Congrats on your acquisition, and thanks for sharing.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

A fine old lady, showing her age gracefully. Check out the Big 45 pads. They are great at getting rust
without harming the finish.

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Zamo
User

Thanks, John, for pointing out those broken links. I've started repairing a few of them, along with some other issues. Since I updated to Windows 7, MS Frontpage no longer works, and I've had to try and find another editor, and I've not been happy with any that I've tried, so all my websites are suffering.

What do any of you think an Artillery Luger in this condition would be worth right now?
I took these pictures when I first got it, and it has been cleaned and the rust, which looks far worse in these pictures than it was, is gone.

My collection:
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Zamo:

You have asked for our help and yet you have not responded to our questions of how

much you paid for it.

Bob
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

The bluing wear on the rear grip strap looks a bit odd. Not just from hands but maybe chemicals? Anyway if you are needing a value guestimate, seems like they are tyically bringing around $2k these days. But as I tell everyone, that depends on which side of the counter you are standing on...Certainly $1500 to $2500 would catch it somewhere in there.
Hope this helps.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
tau-delt
User

Zamo.. I see two wood bottom mags. Do either match the gun???

I would also leave it the way it is. I think most collectors would rather have an original gun with a little "experience" rather than one that has been redone.

I would agree with the $1500 to $2000 figures in todays market assuming that the mags do not match but certainly more if they do.

Yours belonged to a fighter...... not a lover....... Enjoy it for what it is.......
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Zamo
User

Mags don't match, but appear period (to me), though I question their good condition for their age. Both are nickel with wood bottoms. One is in near excellent condition (hence my suspicion), marked with 7024a, and the other looks to be (very faint, under lots of dings and scratches) 257W, but again is so faint and worn, I could be seeing things, even with magnification. That magazine also has an elongated brass pin in the rear which looks like it must have been a repair at some point.

And Spartacus, be patient, I deliberatly didn't post what I paid for it until I got a feel for what others felt the pistols REAL value may be. If I prematurely put what I paid, that might influence other users opinion on it's value one way or the other. Trying to be scientific about this, and not unduely skew my data set with contamination.

I'm going to go shoot it today, and see if it works, and what it's like to shoot an Artillery.

I always shoot all of my Lugers, at least once. It usually works out that I run one or two magazines through them, and then put them away until the next owner. I can gamble that much.
As much as I like Lugers, I don't really find them that much fun to shoot. That's why I want to see if the Artillery is any funner.

My collection:
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

I think you'll enjoy firing your LP-08. They have a different balance, and are very accurate.

Besides, you'll get quite a bit of attention at most ranges!

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Mauser720
User

Zamo -

The attractive features of your LP-08 are that it has the original finish and it has all matching serial numbers except for the magazine.

You can always clean those rust spots off with some oil and patience.

I would be hesitant to shoot it since if you break just one of those serially numbered parts, you have reduced the value of the piece by about half. You can read on this Forum that some of the collectors are fearless when it comes to shooting an all matching piece. It is a matter of personal choice and preference. I happen to avoid shooting the all matching ones.

You have already got some value estimates, and I do not really disagree with any of them. For me personally; however, I think $1,500 would be on the "low side" for this one. I think an estimate of nearer but still under $2,000 would be my own "ballpark estimate." If I were buying it, I think I'd try to get it for $2,000 or less.

I think it is a nice one and very desirable. (Just my humble opinion.)
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Zamo
User

Thanks to everyone for their valued comments. I shot about 40 rounds this weekend, and it shoots very accurate and functions 100%! I even indexed a target out at the 100 yard line and, while the group was pretty wide, was able to shoot minute of pie-plate (I think a better marksman, or the addition of a shoulder stock would have helped reduce that...I think it was more operator error than any inaccuracy with the firearm).
It is a fun pistol to shoot, but I doubt many more rounds will go through it. Perhaps a few occassionally.
I paid $1400 for it, which is why I was willing to consider re-finishing it, or shooting it, as from the research I've done, "Ruined" artilleries still go for around that. I don't think I've seen too many mis-matched parts guns, or refinished Artilleries sell for much less than that.
However, as is usually the case, you fine people have slapped just enough sense back into me, that I am going to keep it "as is". I sure wish I had gotten a stock/holster for it, but then the price would have no doubt reflected that.
Again, thanks for all your invaluable insights.

My collection:
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Fun to shoot ain't they? I drew a crowd when I put the stock on it!

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
tau-delt
User

Zamo... I visited your website and was very impressed..... I wish I could take pictures like you do and had the talent to do what you have done. Thanks for the show and tell.......
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
Douglas Jr.
User

Man, I had a lot of fun with your comments written just below each picture.
Nice site, nice collection and nice LP-08. You just need to hunt down a Kong now!
Congratulations!
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote