LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
colreed
User

Default New 1911 P-08. Seeking opinions....

My first post to lugerforum. Someone on Gunboards suggested I put my new baby over here.

Just sort of stumbled into a 1911 DWM the other day and could use some info and advice. Link to photobucket pictures to follow.

First, should I leave it the way it is or try to have it refinished?

Second, the letter after the SN, would that be a small e or a capital R? I don't know the conventions for SN letters.

Third, would you think the mag has been treated or did some of them come that way?

Fourth, I understand that the stamping on the grip front strap is a unit marking. How can I find out which unit?

Thanks very much for helping. Any and all advice will be most welcomed.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/1911%20P-08/

Regards,
Reed

If the link doesn't work, please let me know.
colreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,594 Times in 931 Posts

Hi Reed, Welcome to the forum. I've had a bit of difficulty viewing your photos. I saw enough to see that your Luger has been chromed. Thats too bad as it's otherwise a very interesting gun. I can also tell you that the magazine is not original, and that the serial suffix is an e. I'll let our unit mark experts decipher the marks for you. Regards,Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
colreed
User

Default 1911 dwm p-08

Thanks, Norm,
Sorry you had trouble with pics. I just uploaded them to an album here called "1911 DWM P-08". Don't know if I did it correctly, but if so, maybe you can view better. I'm sure you are more accustomed to albums here.
Thanks for referring me to the "unit" fellow. Am anxious to know to whom it was issued and used.
Regards
Reed
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Reed, I was able to access your photos on your profile. The unit mark translates to: Bavarian 1st Foot Artillery Regiment, Battery 3. Weapon no. 3. I notice that the trigger plate is mismatched, which makes little difference, since, as Ed Tinker has pointed out, chromed guns are of little interest to collectors. The chroming was probably done in the fifties by the GI who brought it back. Remember those automobiles? Regards, Norm
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
colreed
User

Default Yea, Norme, I remember those autos....

I'll be 70 next month but don't feel a day over 45. Had a '49 Merc, lowered, glass packs, leaded, spinners, canary yellow. Those were the days.
Let me ask one more question. I have gotten opposing opinions over on the Gunboards site.
My toggle will not lock open in the full open position with the mag either in or out. Is it designed to stay full back and locked? I saw an ad in the Gun Digest yesterday that said:

"Luger P08 DWM1910 #5XXXc, matched except mag, early sear, never milled for hold-open, unit marked 121.R.9.1. 90-92% $1995".

Is the "never milled" a design feature, or a flaw? Could mine be OK with no "hold-open"?

I got some feedback on Gunboards that said 1911 P-08 were made 13,000 in number and about 20% were unit marked. If true, my piece seems to be a little unique. I like it.

I have decided to not refinish the piece. In its own way, it is quite beautiful. Should pop some eyes along the way. Even as it is, I suspect it might be worth a couple hundred...What do you think?
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The German military didn't mandate the hold-open until May 1914. Or was it August? Anyway, a lot, but not all of those made before then were modified.
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Reed,
Although the "hold open" that locks back the toggle with an empty magazine was part of the original Luger design it was not included on P-08 military lugers until 1913. At that point, earlier P-08 lugers were retrofitted with the hold open, however, some were not, especially Bavarian Army lugers. I am not able to acces your photos but there is a good posibility that your 1911 Luger was never modified with the hold open. In my opinion, this does not enhance or detract from the value of your Luger, which has little collector value anyway because of the chrome job. Enjoy this gun for what it is. The unit marking and (possibly) lack of hold open, and the probable WWII GI chrome job are part of its special history. KFS
Karl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Reed, Most of the early guns were retrofitted with a hold open, except for those issued to the Bavarians, like yours. I think you're wise not to attempt a refinish, the gun will never be "right". I would think of the chroming as part of the gun's rich history. Regards, Norm
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
colreed
User

Default Norme and KFS

Thank you much for your inputs.
KFS, sorry you cant access the pics. They are in "my profile", "pictures and attachments". Too bad, I think it is kinda purdy. Maybe you can get to them via photobucket.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/1911%20P-08/

OK, looks like mine never had a hold-open. Kinda neat. I have really learned a lot today about this piece thanks to you fellows here on the forum. Much appreciate it. If I can ever help you with M1 carbine stuff, just let me know.
Regards
Reed
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Reed, it's a shame about the chrome/nickel finish as the gun seems to have been in excellent condition at the time the deed was done. I have a brother to your 1911, it's serial number 3268e and grip strap marked B.1.A.F.1.13.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Jasta2
User

Collector grade or not, it still looks nice chromed, though original finished would be best. It would almost be a intresting "sub set" in Luger collecting to have a collection of Vet. bring back Lugers that they had chromed/nickled/carved grip, ect. that personalized their bring back Luger. Most any Luger with a bring back history is intresting.
Regards, Bill
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
colreed
User

Default Wow! "Together they served"

Hi George,
So neat. The two were in same regiment and only 2 batteries apart. I am assuming that a "battery" was a single field artiliary piece. So our two pieces were likely in line of sight of each other during the heat of battle.
I just love knowing the history of these old relics.
Thanks for your input.
Regards
Reed
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Reed, the A.F. marking indicates Artillerie zu Fuss or Foot artillery as opposed to Field Artillery. Foot artillery were "heavies". Each regiment was made up of two battalions, a heavy field howitzer (15cm) battalion and a Mortar (21cm) battalion.

The mortar battalion consisted of two batteries of four mortars each. These were batteries 5 & 6. The howitzer battalion consisted of batteries 1 thru 4; each battery had four guns.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

They sound formidable, George! Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Your Luger has a rich history as remarked above. Love the war horse for what she is... She is not only beautiful, but will serve you and your heirs... she was made to last.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
colreed
User

Default George, again great info

Good stuff. Regardless, our two pieces could have been sitting side by side at some common chow table, or at a staff meeting in the field.
Would love to have them both hanging on my wall. Some story they would tell.
Regards
Reed
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
colreed
User

Thanks JS for you kind and encouraging words. She is obviously well built, and with a smooth, tight action that has a sound that screams of perfection. She'll be 100 next year. Wow.
Regards
Reed
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Piet
User

Well built they are. I have 199f used in South West Africa. Smooth and perfect is a understatement.
Enjoy the feeling of perfection.
Piet
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Piet for your post: