LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
jrittber
New User

Default Re-barreled my gun - now it won't fire????

A couple years ago, I bought a 1914 Erfurt "shooter" that functioned well with only an occasional jam or misfire. I recently found an 8" barrel at a gun show and had a machinist/gunsmith put it on for me. When I went to try it out with the new barrel, I find it will no longer fire. To be specific, the trigger lever does not push the trigger bar plunger in far enough to disengage the sear.

The only thing I can think of is that the gunsmith who put on the new barrel warped the barrel extension just enough to throw something out of wack. If I squeeze the sideplate and the barrel extension with my fingers and pull the trigger then it will disengage. I put in a new firing pin but it doesn't help.

Could either a worn or bent trigger lever or trigger bar be the problem? The trigger pull on this pistol has always been bad; it doesn't fire until the trigger is pulled as far as it will go. Before I put on the new barrel, it did this once or twice, indicating that some part was borderline bad before.

Any advice on what I should repair or replace?
Thanks,
Jared
jrittber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jared, I'm surprised that anyone who calls himself a gunsmith would return a rebarrel job to you in non-firing condition. Your analysis sounds correct with the exception, that an original trigger lever will not bend. That's probably the part that needs replacing, but if the sear/striker over lap is too great, perhaps one of both of these need work. Hopefully your "gunsmith" checked the head spacing and that is not a problem. If all else fails, you can send me you luger for a $50 diagnosis and $50 trigger job + any needed parts + S&H. Lugerdoc
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I believe that your assessment of a warpage cause by an inexperienced Luger mechanic may be the root of your problem. Make sure that the spring loaded pin on the end of the sear bar is easily moved in and out. Sometimes these old guns are dirty and this pin sticks causing the symptom you are describing.

If the sideplate was a poor fit before the modification, no doubt it is worse now. A new trigger lever MAY cure the problem, but unless you are a bonafide gun tinkerer, and are will to experiment, I would suggest you take or send the gun to a knowledgeable Luger repairperson and have it properly diagnosed and repaired. You will be better off in the long run since any used repair part that you buy to experiment with will be expensive and may not fit any better than the one you have now.

Look up postings by LugerDoc, Hugh, or Thor and send them private messages to enlist their assistance. You don't list your location so I am not sure who may be local who may be able to help you. Lugerdoc is in MO, Hugh in TX and Thor in NM.
If you are near VA, I might be able to help, but update your profile to show what area of the country you are in and it will better your chances of local assistance.

Welcome to the Lugerforum.

Hmmm. Looks like LugerDoc found you and hit the send key before I did

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote