LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Ice
User

Default Toggle not closing question

I recently bought an extremely nice code 42 byf shooter. This is a CAI import with scrubbed proof marks. Since the pistol has matching numbers except for the sideplate I replaced the firing pin, extractor and ejector with repros because the numbered parts are worth something to somebody as they are original.

Problem is, about half the time the toggle wants to stop about 3/8" from closing when chambering a loaded cartridge - in this case RN aluminum Blazer. This sometimes happens when I release the toggle for the first cartridge and sometimes when loading from the magazine. When this stoppage occurs I just slap the toggle down and it chambers the cartridge.

I am wondering if there might be too little space between the repro extractor and the breechface and this is interfering with chambering. The mainspring seems strong enough. It could be the ammo but the other Luger shooter functions perfectly with the same ammo. I have about 1K of the Blazer that I want to shoot up before I start on reloads.

Don't want to start fixing anything until I hear your thoughts. Any comments welcome. This is my wife's first Luger and she loves it so I want it to function properly.

Thanks

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
sls11650
User

What is the number on the parts? I need an extractor, #93.
sls11650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Charlie, Before going to the expense of "fixing" your luger, I would try some different mags & ammo. TH
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Ice
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls11650 View Post
What is the number on the parts? I need an extractor, #93.
I'm sorry, no #93.

Charlie
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Ice
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
Charlie, Before going to the expense of "fixing" your luger, I would try some different mags & ammo. TH
I'll try out several Mec Gar mags and some Win White Box today or tomorrow. Thanks!

Charlie
Unread 06-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
jamese
User

90% of feeding problems are the magazine, if you have eliminated that, I would look at the ammo. P08's were designed to feed round nose ball or fully jacketed type cartridges. Modern semi-jacketed or Hollow point cartridges sometime catch or hang on the feed ramp or chamber entrance.
I would then start looking at hardware issues starting with the recoil spring.

Charlie let us know how you make out

Jim
Unread 06-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Your wife's first Luger? How many does she have? And more importantly, does she have any sisters?
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Ice
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Your wife's first Luger? How many does she have? And more importantly, does she have any sisters?
DJU
David, she has a very nice byf 42 import shooter and over the weekend I bought her a near mint .30cal 1920 Commercial that I'll post about later. We share my meager collection. She has an anti-gun brother who is nicknamed "Rabbit" but no sisters.

Lugerdoc and Jamese, we took the byf to the range today with a variety of aftermarket magazines. The old Luger shot the Blazer without problem in 2 of the MecGars. WWB shot flawlessly for all of the mags. That solves that problem!

You would have had fun watching her shoot palm sized & smaller groups at 10 and 15yds with her 67yr old pistol. Several shooters stopped to watch with their jaws hanging down. A couple of the men had never handled a Luger so we let them shoot it; they were amazed at its light trigger and great handling qualities and were talking about finding one for themselves. Of course we told them about this forum. Thanks everybody!

Charlie

Last edited by Ice; 06-28-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: correct sp
Unread 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
unspellable
User

I once took a gun writer out to shoot a couple of my Lugers. He had never shot one. I told him, as a gun writer, you wouldn't want your tombstone epitaph to read, "He never shot a Luger."
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote