LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
EHmasterJedi
User

Default Need Luger Identification?!?

hi guys found this at a flea market for 550.00 was wondering if u could tell me what it is, and if its worth that or more, thanks alot.

http://

EHmasterJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

So far I see an early safety, possibly a commertial sideplate and its mismatched and some of the numbers do not appear to be factory stamped. Finish is poor and prop
bably not original. Grips are probably replacements as they do not match the poor condition of the metal.

Many more photos will be needed to determine what it is. Please see other threads on ID issues to see what images are needed to determine what it is and a possible value.
Welcome to the forum!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
policeluger
RIP

It has the look of being in a fire.....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to policeluger for your post:
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
EHmasterJedi
User

Thanks and Hi guys just to let u know, i havent bought it yet i found it at a flea market for 550, i didnt ask much other than if it was fireable and he said it was, as far as the markings go i didnt see any others on the gun, other than a BADLY wore one on the bottum of the barrel, i just told him id take some pics and possably b back, no numbers on the magazine ethier, i was just figureing most any luger would be worth atleast 550, but i figured id talk to u guys. he said somthing about the wire around just being on there because it easier, but nothing wrong with it, make sense?
Unread 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHmasterJedi View Post
...he said somthing about the wire around just being on there because it easier, but nothing wrong with it, make sense?
...Uh, what??? Easier...to do what???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,300 Times in 429 Posts

The frame of this gun is from a 1906 Navy (altered)--see the milled-out lower safety area. The front of the frame has been ground to accept the short receiver which is currently installed. The crown proof mark on the breechblock indicates that this is from a Navy Luger as well. It would be interesting to know the mark on the barrel.

As noted upscreen, this gun is quite an assemblage of mismatched parts, in fairly crummy condition. $550 is absolutely top dollar for a gun like this, and if you are serious about pursuing it you should try to get it for half that. You will not likely ever get your money back out of it in a future sale.

The safety and functionality of this gun is certainly questionable, and it should be submitted to a gunsmith with considerable Luger expertise for examination before firing it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 04-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
EHmasterJedi
User

which navy? im not sure what he meant about the wire, he was a older black man proly in his 70's or 80's he was kinda hard to understand ill definatly really check it out b4 id buy it, he said hed had it for 10-15 yrs.
Unread 04-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
EHmasterJedi
User

09 is about the best i can tell u the last 2 numbers might be on the bottum of the barrel
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
WG dog
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

This isn't the luger you're looking for.
WG dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
EHmasterJedi
User

ha ha, how easy do you guys come by lugers in general like going to gun store, flea markets things like that, ive been around buying guns for about a year and half and this is the first one ive come across, ill see if i can get it cheaper other wise may just pass
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

Well, if you are looking, you see lugers all the time. Maybe not for $550, but you see them.

I sold one today at a gun show...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
EHmasterJedi
User

yeah well 550 would pretty much be the max id proly be able to pay, so even if he doesnt come off his price i kinda wonder if i should get it just because, yeah i might see another luger but how often will i find one in the 550 or under price range i mean nothing special about this particular gun right? but if its complete then maybe what the hell u know?
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

True.... You find them every now and then, but seldom under $600....

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHmasterJedi View Post
yeah well 550 would pretty much be the max id proly be able to pay, so even if he doesnt come off his price i kinda wonder if i should get it just because, yeah i might see another luger but how often will i find one in the 550 or under price range i mean nothing special about this particular gun right? but if its complete then maybe what the hell u know?
True...And then you can find out why it's wired shut...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
EHmasterJedi
User

:/ yeeah lol , luger is a really neat gun but i cant see paying more for one cause im really getting it just to say i have one and really cant see spending 1700 for a nicer one, its just there so i figure why not lol, i will try to get it for less though. and if i do get it ill take more pics and give u guys a better idea. Does anyone else agree that it may have been in a fire, im not sure what to look for on a gun i mean its old and worn but i didnt see any obivous fire damage.
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I would bet that the reason that the wires are holding the slide in place is that the old gentleman who owns it, took it apart, and can't figure out how to properly install the upper assembly... the S hook is probably not in the recoil spring guide hooks...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
MFC
User

The wires may be there so people won't pull the toggles back and then dry fire it. I put the zip straps there when I bring mine to gun shows. The police officers at the door always wants to put the straps through the barrel which also covers the chamber stamps if any.
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:23 AM   #18
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,300 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG dog View Post
This isn't the luger you're looking for.
Move along...

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
EHmasterJedi
User

just as a update i went back down to the market and the guy said he sold 15 min after i left last week lol, bitter sweet but o well lol, went over and bought a new stag arms AR-15 lol
Unread 04-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
Zamo
User

You'll find one. A better one. I understand not wanting to spend a lot on a Luger, but you should save your money and budget at least $700. If you can do that, you can find a very nice looking mis-matched shooter grade pistol. This one had some interesting history, but the most interesting part is how it has been ruined. Imperial German Navy lugers are one of the most highly sought after, and rare variants, and it always hurts me to see surviving examples that have been neglected, ruined, altered or otherwise destroyed in value. It's been a long hundred years, and with two world wars, innumerable regulations, and countless hands touching these old pistols, it's not hard to see how all that comes into play, especially here, in the USA, on the other side of the world from their place of origin.
You may want to take a look on gunbroker, or some of the other online firearms auction houses if the local gunshows are letting you down. You can use the search criteria to dial in exactly the price you're willing to spend. Many people are leary of buying from this type of source, but they're generally seeking collectable pieces, and not just a nice looking shooter. You'll learn about "forced matching", but if you're seeking a shooter, you don't need to worry about it right now.
I sold a nice, refinished 1917 DWM Luger on GB a few months back for about $700. They're there.
I wouldn't have touched this one for over $250.

My collection:
http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/guns.htm

Last edited by Zamo; 04-26-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added notes on online auctions.
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Zamo for your post: