LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-23-2001, 07:11 PM   #1
Tinman

Default For Dok or Tom H.

Dok or Tom;

From what I gather from this forum, the two of you are the resident experts on lugers. I'm not. I just got my first one after drooling for 25 years, Not sure what it is or what it's worth. I have learned from the Tech Info provided by Dok that I have a "1917 DWM" in great shape. I didn't presume to e-mail you a huge picture file that would clog your server but I have posted some clear photos and a short description. If either or both of you care to take a minute or two to take a look at it I'd be grateful. Also, I'd welcome everyone's comments, Thanks

http://www.eandrenterprises.com/luger/

Unread 11-23-2001, 07:59 PM   #2
Tinman

Default OOPS!!! My aplogies

I'm truly sorry if I offended any one here. I have had it pointed out to me by a good samaratin that there were many experts here other than Dok and Tom H. I didn't mean to belittle anyone. I just centered on these two because they had answered several other questions for other people. I'm very new to this forum and didn't mean to put anybody down. I have nothing but respect for those who know more than I on any given subject.

Robert

Unread 11-23-2001, 08:23 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Tinman..!!

First - Welcome to the Luger Forum..!!! You may want to post a profile (on the main page of this discussion Forum, you should see a link that says: "Edit Your Profile")... We all hope you come here often...

Second - your Luger is a military 1917. In the latter years of that war, the blue seemed to get a little "thin" from the factories during the latter part of WW1 - but if yours is the original blue, it is in terrific condition given how these were being produced!! I have a 1916 that has similiar wear marks that you mention (muzzle & sideplate), but is certainly not as good overall...

Honestly, for a piece in as good condition - I would think twice about shooting it (unless you just have to ) as its in really excellent condition...

As for what it's worth - hmmm... If it's all original finish (blue and straw) - it's better then most in this period, but I'll let others take a guess at what it worth (but call me if your going to sell it !! I know I paid almost $800 for my 1916 in lesser condition.

Finally - during this period - it is difficult to find a Luger which has all matching magazines - so don't let that bother you, as it's typical... Also, they are from the correct period - which you note one is correct and original for that period and not a "repro".

Again, welcome to the Forum.! I'm sure others will have additional comments!

Unread 11-23-2001, 08:36 PM   #4
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: For Dok or Tom H.

Tinman; A real nice looking pistol! I have one very similar and I shot a few magazines thru it. It is up to you. How do you know one of the grips is a repro?

Lonnie

Unread 11-23-2001, 08:45 PM   #5
Tinman

Default grips

Lonnie;

When I bought it I was told that the left grip wasn't original. Also there is a large square gap right below the lower right corner of the side plate that serves no purpose that I can see. That and its thicker than the right one..

Unread 11-23-2001, 08:53 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default That Cut-out....

is for a magazine safety... When your grip was on its original Luger - that panel was cut out for a "safety" which prevented the trigger from being pulled when a mag was not inserted.

These were found on "Police" Lugers - by official rule. As well, Police issued Lugers had a sear safety, which your's doesn't have...

Anyway - that's what that cut-out is for...!!

Unread 11-23-2001, 09:28 PM   #7
Dok
RIP

Default Tinman... your comments are incorrect....

Thank you for your kind, if somewhat misguided words. I am one of the LEAST knowledgeable people on this forum. I am, however, the webmaster, and as such I do try to jump in and help people, when the questions are VERY, VERY simple, and I can answer them. I am BY NO MEANS in the same category with bill m, Kyrie, Johnny Peppers, John D., Marvin, tom h, or a score of others. THEY are the TRUE wisdom of this forum.

I am not a collector, I am a shooter, and while I struggle to comprehend the vast scope of Luger Collecting, I have the utmost respect for the collective knowledge on this forum.

Virtually all the info on this forum has been supplied by the collectors who frequent this forum, my ONLY role was to assemble that knowledge, and put it in HOPEFULLY a user-friendly form for folks to use.

I am pleased that you find this forum useful, there are many talented people here, each of which brings his own specialty to the table. We hope you will be a frequent poster, and call the Luger Forum home.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 11-24-2001, 06:39 AM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: That Cut-out....

You did a nice job for your first luger. The only thing that I can add is for you to not use the original mags if you decide to shoot your Luger. Even though they don't match your gun, you might get very lucky and find your matching mag sometime in the future. These mags may be something that someone else is looking for. If you use them you might break or dent the wood bottom or the button on the side.

But aside from that, I am getting more and more into the photography of Lugers. I thing this is one of those things that will enhance the collecting of them. You did some new labeling features in your pictures that I think are really cool. Nobodies done that before on this forum that I know of. Nice touch of creativity.

Big Norm

Unread 11-26-2001, 12:55 AM   #9
Tinman

Default Re: That Cut-out....

Thank you John. I thought it was a flub.....{)

Unread 11-26-2001, 12:56 AM   #10
Tinman

Default And Thank you too Norm..EOM (EOM)

Unread 11-26-2001, 12:59 AM   #11
Tinman

Default Re: Tinman... your comments are incorrect....

Thank you for the pointer.. I just aquired my first Luger, Still trying to figure out if its a shooter or a collector.

http://www.eandrenterprises.com/luger