LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
George_F
User

Default How was the Luger carried in WW2 by German forces?

To clarify, in what condition was the firearm carried with regard to readiness? Was it carried with a round in the chamber and safety on? Or was it carried with empty chamber?

I am sure there may have been preferences, but did the German Army (or other amrmed forces) have a specific method which they expected their troops to carry the Luger?

Thanks!
George_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

George, I don't have any documentation, but if holstered, I would think that pulling the toggle back to load a round would be as quick as messing with the small safety lever. Once in hand, in a combat situation, loaded and safety off. TH
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I have never read any of the original field manuals for the P.08

They probably would tell the story on loading protocol in combat... which normally gets ignored when people are likely to shoot you.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
RGMCE
User

John : An old friend of mine who served in the HJ Div. can't recall any regulations re: cocked / uncocked holstered pistols. If there were any, he said, they would be ignored as everyone did as they pleased. That was the nature of the unit consisting mostly of 18 & 19 year olds.He has no idea what the Army may have required. I also have a friend in Germany who is a renowned collector, however I'm reluctant to pose a question which recalls memories he may be uncomfortable with. Sorry I can't add anymore. Best regards,Dick McEvoy
RGMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
RGMCE
User

Postscript : The term 'HJ' refers to the 12th SS Panzer Division 'Hitlerjugend'. In 1944 they were active in the Nonmandy area and later decimated near Caen.I add this as a historical footnote only. Dick McE.
RGMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,200 Posts

The 1930s manuals tend to lean towards a loaded pistol with a round in the chamber. This also corresponds with the text (repeated often) that the pistol always has to be carried with the safety applied.

But the manuals don't state 'the pistol must be loaded', they just point out the loading procedure, i.e. inserting the magazine, pulling the toggle back, chambering a round and applying the safety.

I have also examined some dig finds that had a round in the chamber and the safety applied.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote