LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
JPH
New User

Default Hello, intro and a questrion

Hello!!

I joined this site a whle back and I am really enjoyed reading all the posts and gleaning a whole lot of information about one of my favourite arms, the PO.8. My name is Jim, I am a blacksmith (of all things) here in the desert of southern Nevada and I am rather fond of Lugers. I have a few and that brings me to the question.

I have recently aquired on a trade a Erfurt Artillery Luger, chamber dated 1914, the parts all match except the magazine and it appears to be a arsenal rework as some of the parts are overstamped. The bore is not pitted but there is a small amount of "frosting" but otherwise I would rate it as "excellent". It had probably been re-blued at one time but there are no pits under the blue or other problems. I would rather the finish as 98% plu on the old reblue. The sources I have consulted say it could possibly be a rework intended for commercial sale back in the 1920s or so...

Now the question I have is with the stock/holster harness. Now as far as I undertsand, these were "used" with the holster attached to the stock..I can undertsand that, but for some reason I thinK that the two straps that run into and out of the stock are well, "threaded" wrong, knowing what I do about leather and how it will "wear" over the years.

With the stock positioned with the attching iron down, the straps come out the back side "between the holster and the stock" from the bottom holes.

Now never really being able to closely examine an original piece, it looks to me that you are begging for strap breakage, so the question is...Is this piece properly strapped up or do I unscrew the harness and "rethread" the straps??

Any advice or help would be appreciated greatly.

I am pretty much in the dark here on this..Now if you want to talk swords or metal working, I'm your guy but on this?? I am just some poor sott that doesn't know what's what as far as the artillery stocks/holsters go.

Thank you for your time...

JP Hrisoulas
Henderson, NV
Unread 07-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Jp, With the stock held in you lap...Holster away..stock in between. Stock iron down. Straps around the back of your neck. Take the right strap, insert it into the top right slot. Stretch out 6 inches or so..insert this end into the right hand top side of the stock block that is attached to the holster. Push the end down into the slot. When it comes out the bottom, pull it thru and insert the end of the strap into the inside bottom slot and this will protrude towards you. Grasp this end and pull it towards you. You will have threaded the strap properly. The left strap is of course done the same way to the left set of 2 slots.
The ends of the straps will come up and lay flat onto itself. These are worn next to the body when the pistol is carried.
The stock block on the pistol with the straps properly affixed will simply disapear into the stock recess when you pull it all snug. Once you determine the proper way this is done..it will seem very simple.

Take a look at the last photo in the 1st photo set. You can see the strap properly threaded.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...5015#post95015

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Jerry,
I was looking for a photo and the one you pointed to of Eric's setup is a pretty good example. Here it is without needing a link:

Unread 07-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron, Thanks!

Jerry
Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 07-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
JPH
New User

Hello Again!!

First, thank you for the answer but methinks I have a porblem on this end. the straps that I have is simply one piece. one strap runs through the stock and holster so I think I could of been sold a bill of goods here. No matter how I run the strapping I cannot get it to lay flat against the holster

Now I have a harness sewing machine that I use for my "real job" when I need to do leather work so making new sraps is not a problem if that is what is needed..... So do these have two straps or one strap that serpentines its was around??

I am sorry if this is a "stupid" question but if you don't know...you don't know and I don't know, never having seen one that up close and personal..

Nowe if any of you need and info on metal work, I'm pretty sure I can help, like how to straw triggers, safety levers, do the rust blue and all that....I do that for a living...so if you have any metal related questions, I might be able to return the favour...

THANK YOU once again..

JPH
Unread 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Welcome to the Lugerforum JPH... show us some photos of your Lugers... I am just getting back into metalworking after a 30 year lapse... I WILL have questions... Thanks...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

JPH, Your strap should not be a continuous loop. It has NO sewing in it.
It souuld be 72 inches long. Approx, 3/4 inches wide, wide enough to fit the slots in your stock and 1/10th to 1/25th thick. It will have decorative edging and I could go on but I am in a hurry!

Straps this long are hard to come by. Most repro straps are way too thick.

They have steel or brass adjustment studs & two leather keepers.

Hope this helps!

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)