LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
dhusker
User

Default My new byf 41

At last I have some pics. This rig is really in nice condition.....at least to my inexperienced eye. I purchased it from a gentleman I know whose uncle brought it home for WWll. He served in the Third Army and liberated the Luger at Bastogne. I have more records regarding the provenance. This was very important in considering the purchase as I am a retired history teacher specializing in WWll and the Civil War. I know, I probably paid too much, but what the heck its only money.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ghtprofile.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...eftprofile.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...lek/bottom.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/dmahalek/top.jpg
dhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
dhusker
User

Default Fixed I hope.

Try them again, I had a @!#!#$$% time trying to get this right.
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
supersamn
User

Nice clean Pistol!!!! like new!!!...very good pistol.....
supersamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

dhusker,

Congrats on the the purchase of a byf 41 Luger... they are among the best ever produced by Mauser.

Now, I hope you won't mind a couple of comments... first.. when you post on the Lugerforum contains photos, please upload the photos directly to the Lugerforum server using the link at the top of the page. Photos must be under 200Kbytes... One of the reasons why you should do this is that public image websites like the Photobucket often go out of business or reconfigure themselves and the links go dead so folks who don't read your post on the day you do it may never get to see the photos.

Another reason to put the photos here instead of somewhere else, is many of the public photo websites are blocked by the security software of many businesses and government offices so that folks who work behind a security firewall would never be able to see your photos while working. Posting your photos on the Lugerforum server means that if a person has reading access to the forum, they will also be guaranteed to see the photos.

While the photos you posted show a shiney looking byf 41, the lighting does not permit those looking to adequate see the finish and markings on your Luger... please try to use adequate lighting without causing reflections when ever possible. A lighter or brighter background will provide a better contrast with the item you are photographing.

Thanks for sharing your purchase with the membership and the photos of your byf Luger and I hope you will consider these other factors when posting photos to share in the future.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
dhusker
User

Thanks for the suggestions. I indeed tried to upload to the forum server but didn't have any success. I'll give it another try with pics of my holster.

(ADMIN NOTE: USE THE EDIT BUTTON (PENCIL & PAPER ICON AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF YOUR POST TO SEE THE PROPER SYNTAX TO DISPLAY THE PHOTO INSTEAD OF THE url OF THE IMAGE).

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...er_2_copy8.jpg

Unread 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Dhusker,

see admin note above on how to display images.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
railman44
User

My eye is inexperienced as well but it looks very nice. I just bought my first Luger from Ed Tinker and I'm still mesmerized by the workmanship and beauty. Mine is a byf too and known by many (from the American coined term) "Black Widow". I also decided I needed a byf P38 as well but if I ever win the lottery my Luger collection will explode. Congrats on your purchase!
railman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally posted by railman44
if I ever win the lottery my Luger collection will explode.
I buy "Mass Million" every month. If I win, not only my Lugers will explode, I love a few types.

Don't know byf, it looks so far so good to me.

I've never gone to any gun shows (!!), people went there coming back told me "they use loupes to check items, you should go there to see how they work, even if you don't buy anything". I thought about that, yes, making sense, but travel is not cheap, and I don't know what to look for under a loupe yet. Without loupe & gun in hand, I assume clear & sharp "regional" pictures are needed (encircled)... plus backstrap, muzzle, and tail of the toggle.... that might be the minimum set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	byf (large).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2733  

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
railman44
User

Quote:
Originally posted by alvin
I buy "Mass Million" every month. If I win, not only my Lugers will explode, I love a few types.

Don't know byf, it looks so far so good to me.

I've never gone to any gun shows (!!), people went there coming back told me "they use loupes to check items, you should go there to see how they work, even if you don't buy anything". I thought about that, yes, making sense, but travel is not cheap, and I don't know what to look for under a loupe yet. Without loupe & gun in hand, I assume clear & sharp "regional" pictures are needed (encircled)... plus backstrap, muzzle, and tail of the toggle.... that might be the minimum set.
I've been told by many that the tuition to the Luger University is expensive if you get taken. I've also been told to read as many books on the subject as possible. I don't have a clue what someone would use a loup for unless they have trouble seeing. Tight action, good or better bore, fair price, decent original finish, original grips, original magazine(s) and all numbers matching are probably the most important things that come to mind unless you're buying a knock-around shooter. I would advise against buying from a stranger especially on the Internet unless he/she can guarantee in writing a three day inspection period. Again, this is advise from a newbie and I'm sure I left many things out. Forums like this are invaluable for novice and experienced collectors alike...
railman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally posted by railman44
I've been told by many that the tuition to the Luger University is expensive if you get taken.
Sure. By weight, this type of steel is way more expansive than sterling silver. Known collectors are good source of Lugers. Most Lugers are in their safes anyway.

======

By no means saying byf having issues. I have not seen any yet. Just general chatting.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote