LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Jasta2
User

Default Where are the Luger Shooters!!

Why are all the Lugers I find for sale the 90%+ condition? Where are all those well worn Lugers that are safe to shoot? I've owned 4 Lugers over the years, always my favorite firearm,but as things do happen, funds were needed elsewhere and they all found new homes. At last I have some spare change, but was surprised to find how high Luger values has gone up! I guess now days any of my past Lugers would be around $2000. Not having $2k at the moment, except for a well used Navy shoter!!, I am looking for those "non collector grade" Lugers that I can enjoy shooting. Maybe if someone out there loves #1 scale (G-gauge) live steam locos,them maybe I will afford a collector grade Luger. I posted a add in the wanted section.
Another question,is the book "Lugers at Random" still in print? My copy from 1970 is showing it's age.
Thanks,Bill USCG Senior Chief Ret.
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,083 Posts

Lugers at Random is a good book, but like you said, too old to use as a ready reference.

Any of jan Still's books are much newer, and dpends on what era you want? WW1? Weimar? nazi? Commercial?

Shooters seem to start at $600 - $700. i wouldn't be shooting a $2000 gun... but that sme.

Welcome to the forum. I was in Portsmouth, NH, year before last for work for 5 months.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Jasta2
User

Ed,
Thanks for your reply. Portsmouth is a great little seaport town, about 40 miles south of me. In general, I've liked the early to end of WW1 era Lugers and the American Eagles. The few I owned in the past were from that era. My big three would be any dished toogle Luger, any American Eagle and a WW1 era 6" Navy Luger. If I ever sell my Live Steam locomotives, I gust might be able to afford a couple!
Thanks again,Bill
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Zamo
User

Hey Bill,
Here's what I recently did for a shooter. I had recently blown all my mad money on a nice 1937 S/42 and didn't have a lot to spend on a shooter, but I did scrounge up about $700. I searched gunbroker.com for about a month with a custom search parameter of $300 - $900 (I figured I could somehow "exude" the extra $300 if I found the right pistol). I eventually found a mis-matched 1917 DWM with a heavily worn finish for just under $600 and used the "BUY IT NOW" option. Since then, I have refinished it with molyresin, added some new aftermarket grips, restrawed the appropriate external parts, and have ordered a replacement trigger for the "moth eaten" one it came with. The result is a wonderful shooter that looks great and shoots very nice for under $800 including shipping!
Here is a link to the whole story with pictures:
Zamo's 1917 DWM Shooter
I am very happy with it, and can't wait to find my next acquisition, a shooter Artillery...(if my beloved wife doesn't find out!)
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
pipeman45
User

Or you could do what I did.
I pestered Hugh until he put a shooter together for me.
It has a 6" navy barrel and re-po rear sight by way of Luger Doc.
And no I won't ever sell it! Although I may someday have it refinished.
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Chief, I share your frustration, but guys like me have been buying the cheaper lugers as a source of parts, some guys (as above) are upgrading them for their own use, and finally, most guys don't mind sitting on items that appreciate faster than your money in the bank. If you do find a shooter that needs a new barrel or decide to make it into a navy look-a-like, please keep me in mind. TH
Unread 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Wilhelm
User

There are plenty of them out there but people just ain't sellin'. It's simple math to me. If I paid 200 five years ago and I decide to sell.....I ain't gettin' another at that price.......so I'll just keep it and shoot the hell out of it. Although as I've stated before, I'm happy to trade one off for a Jager.
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
mikey250r
New User

I bought one a few years ago at Simpson Ltd.
$800 - some rust - 75% blue - shoots great - Numbers match all the way down to the firing pin!

BTW It's a Code 42 1939 (Mauser)

mikey250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Jasta2
User

Thanks Miley, I checked out the Simpson site and I did find a artillery,non matching for $1,200 listed as a shooter. Nice looking Mauser you picked up!
I'll keep looking.
Bill
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
nhdblfan
User

Hey Jasta,Bill,
welcome to the board.I am over in Newbury but get over your way to a friends in Chocorua she owns New Hampshire Country Store on 16.
James Julia used to do his auctions in Portsmouth at Yokens.I picked up shooter luger about 10 years ago for 250 in the holster from him.Those days are long gone thou.
As for Luger at Random keep an eye on Ebay (or fleabay the antigun auction site) one will pop up from time to time.Thats how I found mine.
Best,
Dave
nhdblfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
Wilhelm
User

Very pretty!
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
unspellable
User

I do see a few shooter grade lugers around here on a fairly regular basis, but as you have observed, they are no longer cheap. I have several shooter grade pieces myself, but given the way prices are going I'm not over eager to sell.

Broomhandles seem to be going the same way.

I have been looking for a very minty Webley Mk VI to replace the one stolen from me years ago. They all seem to be hiding in the wood work too. I've seen only a couple and they were in disgraceful condition.

It's even affected garden variety Winchesters. I bought a post '64 M1894 in 30-30 a little while back on the grounds that everybody should have one. A month or two later it's announced that production has ceased and the prices shot up. Guess for once, my timing was right.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
Ron Smith
User

A nice shooter on Guns America...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976957020...ger_pistol.htm
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote