LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-01-2001, 12:08 AM   #1
BILL G
User

Default Mag Problem?: How to load it right..

I took my "new" Luger out to the range today and two things happened:

1.when I pulled the pistol out of the gun bag...about 4 guys around me at the range..all went "woooooo".....and the Luger was passed around for all to see.....it was a hit for the day....

2.the only problem I had, was with the 8 round magazine...holding down the knob with my thumb to load the rounds was pure hell on my thumbs...any tools or ideas out there to help me load the mags in the future..

and by the way...the Luger did a very good job..nice to fire and hold in my hand...

Bill G

Dallas, TX

Unread 10-01-2001, 12:41 AM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Mag Problem?: How to load it right..

Standard operation is to use a take down/loading tool that was issued with the Luger just for this operation of loading the magazines. See Tom Heller in the Links and Resources seciton, he has them! ~Thor~

Unread 10-01-2001, 09:51 AM   #3
Roger Seymour

Most of the links will lead you to vendors who carry the loading/take down tool. Expect to spend about $12 to $15. As you now know, they are must have items.

Unread 10-01-2001, 11:33 AM   #4
Luke
User

Beware of the Sarco repro model marked "E63." The thin section in the hole which should catch behind the magazine button to prevent the Loading Tool's slipping off is much too thick to work properly. I have one and it will not work on any of my magazines, neither repro mags nor original mags.

Unread 10-01-2001, 02:41 PM   #5
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: Mag Problem?: How to load it EASY

A thick credit card with a 5/16 inch hole works fine in a pinch.Try it until you can get the proper tool.

ViggoG

Unread 10-01-2001, 02:46 PM   #6
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: Mag Problem?: Correct Error ! (3/8 " Works Better) (EOM)

Unread 10-01-2001, 08:10 PM   #7
Steve
User

Default Sarco

I hve two of the unmarked tools from Sarco and they both work fine. It sounds like you take your chances with them.

Unread 10-01-2001, 09:11 PM   #8
Luke
User

Default Re: Sarco

Steve,

I also have one of the unmarked ones from Sarco, and they are entirely different - probably a different manufacturer.

Luke

Unread 10-02-2001, 02:32 PM   #9
66mustang

Default Re: Mag Problem?: How to load it EASY :D

I know that I don't have super tough fingers, but I haven't had that many problems loading a magazine and I usually shoot a box or so of ammo.

I don't just hold down the magazine button the entire time, but as I load each round, pushing the round from the top, I also push the magazine button down. So, it is a combination of pushing a round down, while pushing the loading button down.

This is from loading many hundreds of rounds of M-16, 9 MM and .45 ACP at the range in the Army. You thumb gets sore, but nothing like if you hold the button down completly with your thumb.

Just another way to do it.

I wouldn't mind getting a magazine loader device, but I have never used one, just the M-16 stripper clips and they work fairly well,

Unread 10-02-2001, 03:45 PM   #10
Viggo G Dereng

Mustang66,

Are you perhaps related to the "Phillips" Bunch. (Jus Jokin)

I too have never had to use a loading device and I do hold most of the force with my left thumb.

But again I and others have the .30 Lugers in which the bottle neck of the loaded cartridge falls right at the end of the Magazines cartridge retaining lips.

That makes it a bit harder to force the cartridge into the magazine. And even though I have rather tough hands from working at the trades, There are the ladies and those who are not aquainted with that "Mexican Chap" (Manual Labor)!

I feel that many of those who have softer hands would find loading these 30 cal. magazines to be unbearable without some sort of device to assist in the operation.

The suggestion to use a card type of thing was for those among us who needed such assistance.

ViggoG

Unread 10-02-2001, 05:10 PM   #11
BILL G
User

The main problem is that the mag look too new...and has not been fired all that much..I am sure over time that this will change.....

Bill G

Dallas