LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
waltherguy
User

Default Any Car buffs here?

Well I got this email today.. weather the story below is true or not.. it has got to be one of the most amazing finds ever! Being a fan of classic European cars myself... I couldn't do anything but drool when I saw this! The story goes....

The BARN

A New York man retired. He wanted to use his retirement money wisely, so it would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in Portugal.
The modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15 yrs.; the owner and wife both had died, and there were no heirs. The house was sold to pay taxes.
There had been several lookers, but the large barn had steel doors, and they had been welded shut. Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what was in the barn, and it wasn't complimentary to the property anyway......so, nobody made an offer on the place.
The NY guy bought it at just over half of the property's worth, moved in, and set about to tear in to the barn.......curiosity was killing him.

So, he and his wife bought a generator, and a couple of grinders......and cut thru the welds.

What was in the barn...............?
Go to; www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm and start wishing it you had bought the place.
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
c3006
User

I cant believe there was a ford taurus in there
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
pipeman45
User

I saw where someone goggled this and turned out to be not true.
But we can dream can't we?
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
waltherguy
User

Oh... really.. funny.. but yes.. we can dream!!! Jay Leno has a good video on his "garage" website about the "barn" Duesy he found..
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Had 2 of the Opel GT's in the 1970's...very enjoyable little car for stick-shift drivers...then I moved on to Triumph's TR-7's and TR-8's...more pocket rockets...had to have 2 of them to keep on one the road...

Now I drive a Ford F-150...but ordered the small V-8 with a manual stick...

Cannot seem to move over to automatics...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
waltherguy
User

Pete.. Love all those cars.. did you run into the electrical Nightmares with the Triumphs? My first Car was a 70's S class Merc.. then shortly after I had a 85 300ZX with a 5 speed (still miss that car) .. Now I'm kinda boring and drive a New Audi which I do love... but I'm itchin for a toy.. thinkin maybe a Porsche 928.. someday..
Unread 08-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
davidkachel
User

If it was me, the barn would have been full of dead chickens.
Unread 08-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by davidkachel
If it was me, the barn would have been full of dead chickens.
me too and just rotten enough to cost me a fortune in cleaning up
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
azlaw
User

The real story per Snopes...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/barnfind.asp

... but it's OK to still dream.

My guess is that some amount of personal eccentricty, together with way too much liquid cash, was the cause of this. and maybe a prolonged illness late in life, perhaps.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
waltherguy
User

Ha.. good to know the true story! I must say though.. I guess I would be considered "ill" if I had the money.. because I'd have a garage like that :-) (although they'd all have to be running and ready to drive) Granted I'd probably have a Gun safe of relative size full of Lugers as well ...
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #11
hqbmw
User

Quote:
Originally posted by waltherguy
Ha.. good to know the true story! I must say though.. I guess I would be considered "ill" if I had the money.. because I'd have a garage like that :-) (although they'd all have to be running and ready to drive) Granted I'd probably have a Gun safe of relative size full of Lugers as well ...
You certainly wouldn't be ill by my definition. Before moving to AZ, I had a 2000 sq/ft garage at my Sierra foothill home in Pioneer CA. I decided the wonderful toy box of cars needed to be down-sized to something more managable, hence the Luger fettish was fullfilled after 25 years of denying myself the politically-incorrect (in CA) habit.

I do miss the fast mountain drives in the Maserati Bora. The collection is down to two Teutonic masterpieces to compliment the Lugers in the safe: a BMW 850Ci and a BMW K1200lt. Had most of the cars mentioned in the above posts. I owned a BMW independent for most of my life and am still a severe motorhead. Love those German cars and guns, but somehow fell in love with Asian women.
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #12
Steinar
User

Not sure if I could call myself a car buff ..whatever that means.. but I do have two cars in my barn, in addition to the one I use regular in my second home here in Oslo. I doubt that anyone would drool over the sight.. But that's not the reason why I have them.

They are not collectable (cheap as dirt)
..they are no muscle cars (about 40HP each, with their 970cc engine)
..they are far from comfortable to drive (spring suspension front and rear)
..they have no fancy equipment (just what's needed for it to work)
..and they are not even that old (1984 and 1985)

Currios how they look? Well, if you promise NO laffin, you could click here http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...murfebilen.jpg
the picture is taken a few years ago.. for some reason I have the front window down and my motorcycle stuck in the rear. Also notice the fantastic quality of my 600$ Kodak digital camera

I like them. Not that I'm a 'player of the other football team' or something.. (nothing wrong with that)
I just think they are fun car to drive. The red one I have used for 15 years, has worked like clockwork all the time and brought me to places hardly reachable by foot. (not a video of me, according to my luck, I would have got stuck on the deepest point trying something like this) It's now a little rusty, and is considered retired. The blue one is fixed up in an 'as new' original condition.

I have had about 10 different cars over the years, but these are the only ones I really enjoyed driving. ..jeah I know, it's weird
Unread 08-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Rod WMG
User

Is it sad that I liked the barn better'n the autos? Now, if they hadn't had that industrial strength layer of dirt and they had been pickups and SUVs....
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
azlaw
User

Default Y'all Kin Have Yer Sports Cars...

Y'all Kin Have Yer Sports Cars... but this is what I'm talking about. But women, now that's a much more expensive hobby than either cars or guns.

H

azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
waltherguy
User

Tac do you ever watch the show Top Gear of BBC 2? unfortunately after a short run on Discovery channel here in the U.S. .. the only place I can watch it is on You tube.. But love every second of it..!

Jack.. The Bora was always one of my favorites! And you can't go wrong with an 850! Although most in my area are into Muscle cars & cars from their childhood.. I have always been attached to German & British cars..
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
davidkachel
User

Steinar,
That was amazing. I always used to laugh at those little Suzukis, but my 4x4 can't go swimming up to its neck like that!
Now I have to get one. Do they still make them?
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
davidkachel
User

Oops, they may have a few drawbacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2La1THaq44
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
Pete Ebbink
User

That guy in the video clip that could easily skip a few meals should have been loaded in the vehicle as "ballast stones"...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #19
Steinar
User

Quote:
Originally posted by davidkachel
Oops, they may have a few drawbacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2La1THaq44
It's quite common to modify them higher, wider, stronger and God knows what.. In this case, perhaps getting it all together with their wifes sewing thread. There are some good websides about this, www.izook.com would be one of them.
Mine is not.

They don't make the SJ410/413 (simular to Samurai in the US) any more. There is one called Jimny that have some similarity with the SJ. That one actually have some driving comfort and even a compartment to mount a radio.

Pete, I'm impressed over his 'looking skills'. There is a car crash, and he is just as calm as I would be watching the Senior Bingo Championship.
If I where a journalist, THAT's the guy I would have asked what happend!
Unread 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
hqbmw
User

Quote:
Originally posted by waltherguy
Tac do you ever watch the show Top Gear of BBC 2? unfortunately after a short run on Discovery channel here in the U.S. .. the only place I can watch it is on You tube.. But love every second of it..!

Jack.. The Bora was always one of my favorites! And you can't go wrong with an 850! Although most in my area are into Muscle cars & cars from their childhood.. I have always been attached to German & British cars..
Top Gear is great. You can still view it on BBC. I ste my TIVO to record all new episodes and watch at my convenience.