LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Michael E Halbrook
User

Default My Interarms 29/70

I've had my 29/70 9mm now for about 9 months.
I've only had WWI era Lugers before. The Swiss influence
is very clear. There are some simplifications to the machining,
and some fixes to a few Luger problems. The large head on the rear
toggle pin serves the same purpose as a "Mauser hump". The front of
the sear cut out in the upper receiver is rounded, this was good to see as
I've had an upper receiver crack at the front edge of the sear cut out.
Some other features seem to go back to the 1906 Luger, the unrelieved
sear bar, and the round magazine spring.
I bought this gun as a more modern shooter, my other two lugers have broken several times
on me over the twenty years I've owned them.
So of course I've had two things bust on the new one already. The first time out the pivot for the grip safety came loose, it had never been riveted in place, later on the magazine base broke in half. This was my fault, I have been shooting a 8mm Nambu pistol, you've really got to jam the mag in on that one. So the combination of a cold day and a hard shove was too much for the mag base.
After all this time I'm still tinkering with the loads. Winchester bulk 115gr is very accurate but has numerous jams associated with insufficient power.
My loads with 700x powder and 115gr plated bullets cycle well, but bullets thrown at the target from a bucket would group better.
I've just done some loads with real jacketed bullets and 700x, when the weather gets better I'll see how they group. I couldn't get enough Unique
in the case to get the gun to cycle.
I'm having fun, its nice to be shooting a gun that is like new, not nearly 100 years old and showing it.

Mike
background in yoga is invaluable.
Michael E Halbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
JD
User

In case you might be interested, the load I use in both of my Interarms Mausers is: 7.5 grains of Blue Dot with a Remington 124 grain jacketed hollow point, loaded to an overall length of 1.120 inches. The load functions 100% in both of my P-08 pattern guns (6" and a 4") and is very accurate. It also works well in all my other 9mm Para handguns.

Please note that both Blue Dot powder, and lugers seem to be very sensitive to overall loaded length, so I wouldn't reduce the loaded length of 1.120 inches.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Sieger
User

Default Luger Reload

Quote:
Originally posted by JD
In case you might be interested, the load I use in both of my Interarms Mausers is: 7.5 grains of Blue Dot with a Remington 124 grain jacketed hollow point, loaded to an overall length of 1.120 inches. The load functions 100% in both of my P-08 pattern guns (6" and a 4") and is very accurate. It also works well in all my other 9mm Para handguns.

Please note that both Blue Dot powder, and lugers seem to be very sensitive to overall loaded length, so I wouldn't reduce the loaded length of 1.120 inches.
Hi:

My Lugers, both original and Interarms, won't function with 8 rounds loaded in the magazine at 1.120. It's too short for proper feeding through the canted magazine.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
JD
User

Sieger,

The Remington 124 grain jacketed hollow point has a profile that allows it to feed perfectly, at least in my guns, at an overall loaded length of 1.12 inches. This overall loaded length is LONG for a 9mm hollow point round (Quite a bit longer than any factory loaded JHP ammo.), and gives a feeding profile equivalent to a full metal jacketed round loaded to a considerable longer overall length. Kind of like having a FMJ round with the very tip cut off. In any case, it has fed flawlessly in the two dozen or so 9mm P handguns I've used it in, including 5 lugers of various types. It is my standard load that works in everything and is subperbly accurate.

You're absoutely correct though that a traditional round nose FMJ loaded to 1.12 inches won't feed reliably through a luger.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Default Hollow Point OAL

Quote:
Originally posted by JD
Sieger,

The Remington 124 grain jacketed hollow point has a profile that allows it to feed perfectly, at least in my guns, at an overall loaded length of 1.12 inches. This overall loaded length is LONG for a 9mm hollow point round (Quite a bit longer than any factory loaded JHP ammo.), and gives a feeding profile equivalent to a full metal jacketed round loaded to a considerable longer overall length. Kind of like having a FMJ round with the very tip cut off. In any case, it has fed flawlessly in the two dozen or so 9mm P handguns I've used it in, including 5 lugers of various types. It is my standard load that works in everything and is subperbly accurate.

You're absoutely correct though that a traditional round nose FMJ loaded to 1.12 inches won't feed reliably through a luger.
Hi:

With hollow points, mine usually works perfectly with 1.15 OAL. This will vary, depending on the type of bullet used. Some hollow points, like the Sierras, will never function properly because of their point shape.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote