LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
JD
User

Default 9mm commercial 1908 value?

I could use some help in determining a fair value for a 1908 commercial in 9mm. One of my friends has been given the luger to sell by one of her family friends. I'm interested in buying it, but I want to insure that I'm paying a fair price, both to be fair to her and myself.

The luger is a 1908 commercial DWM in 9mm. It is in the 50,000 serial number range, 4 inch barrel, no bolt hold-open, standard BUG proofs. Numbered parts all appear to match, except the magazine which is a nickled body with wood base but the number does not match this gun. The gun is not stamped "Germany". The safe position under the thumb safety is marked in german.

I can't get photos to post, but I can describe the condition. Blueing is original and would be about 95% except for three pea size areas of hard rust (Deep, with pitting) on the ears of the frame. Strawing is about 70% except there is an area of hard rust on the upper end of the safety lever. The bore is good, with some very light pitting. The grips I would rate at about 90%, with a couple of small scrapes, good checkering, but about one square inch of the lower left grip panel is covered in something that looks like asphalt, melted plastic, or some sort of hardened black rubber material, which I think I can carefully remove without damage to the grip panel. Overall, a fairly nice gun, and would be the first commercial in my collection.

Any help in determining a fair value would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
drbuster
User

JD, I'm sure you are aware that without pictures this is a difficult task at best. The original magazine bottom for this 1908 commercial should be unmarked wood. The grips should not have the serial number stamped on their backs. This gun is frequently undervalued for what it is, much to my personal chagrin as I have one in 99+%. My guess for yours would be in the mid $2K range.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
var99
User

HI JD,

Agree completely with Doc, several have sold in recent months at exactly that price; currently both Horst Held, and Gil Hoffman have examples in similar condition in that price range of $2300-2500.

Hope that helps,

Vince
var99 is offline   Reply With Quote