LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Dave Sanders
User

Default P38 '44 dated hard holster

Just picked this up and thought it might be of interest to the members. I guess these are fairly rare. This one is very firm and I think in pretty good shape. The maker code on the back has been rubbed off a bit, but I think it is a gmo and the Wa ends in 04. Anyway, in very nice shape. Opinions and comments welcomed.
Dave
Attached Images

Dave Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Dave Sanders
User

Default pic 2

picture 2
Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Dave Sanders
User

Default pic 3

picture 3
Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Dave Sanders
User

Default pic 4

Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
Dave Sanders
User

Default pic5

Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Dave Sanders
User

Default pic 6

Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
Dave Sanders
User

Default last pic

Attached Images

Unread 09-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
the gunman
User

Hi Dave not rare. But a nice item to add to a collection.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Dave Sanders
User

Default 44 date

I thought the 44 dated hardshells were not that common. I see 10 44 dated soft holsters to none of these. Perhaps I was wrong.
Dave
Unread 09-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
waltherguy
User

Hi Dave,

I also have a nice 44' dated hardshell.. I've been told they are not that common also... Not totally sure.. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Unread 09-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default rare holster??

The gmo hardshell WW2 holsters are not without controversy! I have several, and they are all in the condition as has been pictured above, or better. And, I have seen several more on ebay and other sellers sites from time to time.. a 44 dated hardshell is encountered far less frequently then the soft shells... but they seem to be around, and in pretty nice shape, especially when compared to the brown ndk ? 44 dated hardshell holsters which always seem to be ratty and used up! I have also observed gmo 44 dated hardshells with the rbn number along with the code?? This brings up certain issues all by itself.. EWX coded 44 dated P.38 hardshells are far less common, and in my opinion far more desirable... the general exc. condition of the gmo would leave one to believe either they were stored, captured, and released similar / same as the Russian captured softshells... or someone with some real oldworld skill is / has pumped a few into the collectors playground, maybe even immeadiatly post war! I have looked them over closely, and although they exhibit late war quality, they are by'n'large correctly made and comparable to other German items from this time frame... I choose to believe they are correct, but I'm thinking I might be in the minority... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT BTW, If your in the mind to sell or trade it, drop me a note, I'm your huckleberry ..
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
waltherguy
User

Thanks for the info GT! I'll add a pick of my 44' ewx.. its in great condition.

44' EWX is the holster on the far Left...
Unread 09-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Dave Sanders
User

Great information. Thanks for that. It sure seems a person can't win for loosing on a bunch of this old stuff. The reproducers are sure ruining it for the rest of us. The look, the smell, and other things sure make it appear vintage, so I'll believe that it is too. One question , though, is if they were going to fake a holster, why not put better stampings, etc on these to entice the price. Also, this was not bought from a dealer or anything like that. I traded into it from a friend who has had it for at least 25 years. Would they have made them that long ago as P38 items weren't that big money items back then. I don't know, but thanks for the help.
Dave
Unread 09-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default rare holster

Hi Dave & waltherguy, As I mentioned in my earlier post, even with some debatable issues, I too believe them to be original and correct... but WW2 issue and capture might be a whole'nother deal! I have collected for 25+ years, and never seen one, or had the opportunity to even buy one (gmo hardshell) right up until the last 5 or 6 years... and, all I have seen are nice... hummm makes me think??.. But, there are some theories that support both schools of thought.. one is that some of the war equipment industries kept at it with materials at hand, until they were forced closed, or ran out.. or, as I mentioned before, a new / old stock was discovered, and all of a sudden, we have some, where there was none? I have read where some satilite countries produced into 1946! There would have to still be some sizable stores of equipment stuck away somewhere... to further torture us collectors... My father once warned me, "Collecting military items is tough, you never know when a new source, from another country, will be uncovered!" also "Don't fall in love with this stuff!" I didn't listen to him... so, I continue to learn the hard way! i didn't listen to him on a bunch of other things also... Dave, I think your hardshell is very nice, and unless someone can enlighten us either way, it'll be, and stay, real good property... waltherguy, nice EWX, gott'a love those hardshells... makes me want to have'em all! best to you guys...til....lat'r...GT
Unread 09-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #15
Dave Sanders
User

That does help, GT. It just seems like everything nice is always suspect. I guess that is one of the downsides of collecting this stuff. Thanks for the uplift.
Dave
Unread 09-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default learning curve!

Hi Dave, I know how ya feel! And so does just about everyone on this forum, but, it's actually an upside event, cuz every time you plunk down some hard cash, and bring an item like that home, you really learn about it. And when you learn the good or the bad, it gives you just that much more knowledge and confidence, so the next time you go with your gut feeling it's an even better chance you'll do good.. And, when you get a nice holster as you now have, it is a great reference for future purchases... There are always going to be fakes and boosted items in any collecting field, but when you acquire enough knowledge to find them out, you greatly reduce the risk of making an error... Notice I said reduce, I still make big mistakes now and then! No risk no gain!!.. Also, you have a great resource in this forum to bounce information off of! Keep up the great effort, and find some of those gmo units for me! Best to you, til...lat'r...GT
Unread 09-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #17
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Also Dave, in case you are not aware... we have a sister website P38forum.com where you can get answers... from many of the same members, but the info is tailored to the P.38 collector.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote