LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-14-2001, 01:01 PM   #1
Jon
User

Default bdq holster and spair magazine observation

good afternoon guys, i just noticed that the magazine (fxo black plastic base) i bought with my luger doesn't fit my bdq 41 holster in the carrier . the cut out for the plastic base in centered and the base is off to one side or the other depending which way the magazine is inserted in the holster. has any one else notice this. please post a reply. thank-you jon

Unread 08-14-2001, 08:59 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: bdq holster and spair magazine observation

jon,

I have also noted the same thing. What I do is turn the magazine where it fits best in the pouch. Most of the holster have the cutout in the center as you note, but I have seen some and I have some that the cutout is off center and the magazine fits properly when inserted the correct way. Since I can't get to them, I don't remember which ones are off center.

Marvin

Unread 08-14-2001, 09:23 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Jon, I have worked on many luger holsters with this problem. Generally the cutout is too close to the rear. I have found the holsters with dates from the 1940's to be afflicted the worst. I believe the quality of the saddlers at this time was somewhat diminished due to the strains of the war effort. Probably has to do with conscripted slave labor as well. Having built a few luger holsters from scratch I can tell you this area is very difficult to put together even if you try real hard. The holster is started here and if quickly sewn by machine I can easily see how this could happen. When taking holsters apart to repair them I notice this strip of leather on the back of the mag pouch can be shoved in too far, or the magizine slot is simply cut out off center, or both. It is surprising to me to see the many variations in luger holsters. The Germans were obsessive about quality and that is what the waffen ampt stamp is all about. An acceptance stamp declaring the holster is correctly made. Again I have only noticed this problem on the WW2 war era holsters. It is fairly common in my estimation. Jerry

Unread 08-14-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
Tracy

How many of the Luger Holsters have you seen that will accept a P 38 Magazine? I have noticed that those in the 42 era have a larger Magazine pouch on some makers.

Unread 08-14-2001, 10:11 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

I have seen not a one that would accomodate a P-38 magazine without undue stretching. The P-38 mag is simply too wide to easily slip into the P-08 mag pouch. There were indeed P-08 mag pouches that because of inatention by the saddler were too big, too small and mishapen. Mostly the quality fell off around 1941 or thereabouts. Jerry